6.0 possible injector issues

Crawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trucks an 04.5 icp is up front. Before we did all the work when the hot start issue occurred every once ina while it would stump but I figured it was from the leak.thats also why I replaced the ipr thinking maybe it had trash in it.it don’t stumble like it did before wide open like it would loose power for just a second then be fine.its got everyone stumped I can’t find anything on a 6.0 doin this.it starts and acts just like a bad ficm.but everything else shows it’s not cause the truck hasn’t lost power or voltage.plus we changed the ficm and it’s the exact same.i would think a bad hpop it wouldn’t have any power at all or if there was somethin in a injector cause when your on it there’s no miss for damn sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Find a scanner that can read the following list.

With the KeyOnEngineOff (KOEO) record the following.

ICP voltage
ICP pressure
IPR percentage
Baro
MAP
EBP
VGT percentage
MAF voltage
ECT
EOT
FICM voltage
FICM sync (cranking and running)
CMP/CKP sync (cranking and running)
RPM

Your scanner of choice may not allow you to run that many PIDs at once. It may let you run more. If you are limited on the PIDs then some can be dropped. But they need to be checked.
For example Baro, map, and ebp. They all need to be checked KOEO. After you verify they are all correct against each other, you can drop Baro. Can possibly drop EBP. But at some point you’ll want to compare it driving.
There are others. But hook up your scanner and let us know what you’re limited to.

I think earlier in the thread you mentioned having a dongle To connect to a phone or tablet. If so, use your scanner of choice. Torque pro will give you all of these pids I believe. I don’t use torque pro personally but have played with it. While not the best, I use OBD fusion with the ford add on. I’ve also used FORScan occasionally to do some of the additional functions and tests. Now that AutoEnginuity added a WiFi dongle option I usually leave it in my tool bag and run it on some trucks. Depends on my needs. If I’m working at the shop then I use AE or can borrow an IDS from another shop if I really need to dig in. But I can usually sort one out with the apps or AE.

Once you have the data above.

Do a screen capture of the device/phone while cranking the truck.

Get the truck to operating temp if possible.

Then reproduce the problem while doing another live screen capture.

That would help immensely.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Find a scanner that can read the following list.

With the KeyOnEngineOff (KOEO) record the following.

ICP voltage
ICP pressure
IPR percentage
Baro
MAP
EBP
VGT percentage
MAF voltage
ECT
EOT
FICM voltage
FICM sync (cranking and running)
CMP/CKP sync (cranking and running)
RPM

Your scanner of choice may not allow you to run that many PIDs at once. It may let you run more. If you are limited on the PIDs then some can be dropped. But they need to be checked.
For example Baro, map, and ebp. They all need to be checked KOEO. After you verify they are all correct against each other, you can drop Baro. Can possibly drop EBP. But at some point you’ll want to compare it driving.
There are others. But hook up your scanner and let us know what you’re limited to.

I think earlier in the thread you mentioned having a dongle To connect to a phone or tablet. If so, use your scanner of choice. Torque pro will give you all of these pids I believe. I don’t use torque pro personally but have played with it. While not the best, I use OBD fusion with the ford add on. I’ve also used FORScan occasionally to do some of the additional functions and tests. Now that AutoEnginuity added a WiFi dongle option I usually leave it in my tool bag and run it on some trucks. Depends on my needs. If I’m working at the shop then I use AE or can borrow an IDS from another shop if I really need to dig in. But I can usually sort one out with the apps or AE.

Once you have the data above.

Do a screen capture of the device/phone while cranking the truck.

Get the truck to operating temp if possible.

Then reproduce the problem while doing another live screen capture.

That would help immensely.
Alrighty I’ll find my table and run up there and try and do that today

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Under your files in your phone, add this in torque under extended pids.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Crawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What pressure is your ICP reporting KOEO?

Watching the vid it’s hard to tell.

Also what is the cranking and idle pressure on the ICP.

I don’t know if it’s the scanner or the vid or the truck. But the numbers don’t look right vs what I’m hearing.

And as jasper said and I put in my post earlier, add FICM sync and cam/crank sync.

We’re trying our best for you.

As much as you’re fighting this, I’d seriously consider pulling the passenger valve cover and watching it when you run it.

It almost acts like one that has a pushrod that’s been bent. But you haven’t pulled the rockers recently correct?

Crawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, but it can be added.
I don't know the pid.

That’s a handy one to have to make sure that the ICP is reading accurately.

Second best option is to look at ICP pressure KOEO before the first crank of the day. Though it could be being spoofed by the ecm.

But if there is a wiring or sensor issue then the voltage is better.

As we both know, if the icp is in a fault status then the computer will use an interpreted value.

Thanks for getting in on this. The more eyes on it the better.

I keep waiting to find out we all missed some very obvious thing.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
I can tell y’all the more we mess with this thing the worse it gets.they unplugged every injector with it running earlier and the truck didn’t change anything.each one had a destinct miss when unplugged it was still blowin smoke and everything else. Swapped the ficm back to mine.now the truck runs on maybe 3 cylinders.it don’t smoke or anything now though or pop.inplug the icp it starts runnin bad agian just completely different then before.yes the connectors are all the way in we checked and re checked um. It wouldn’t let me buzz test it I tryed but it buzzed once and that’s it. My ficm powers are all good though even running like this. This truck is cursed and it all started with dummy plugs and stand pipes

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I tryed to get the pressures but now my data link won’t connect idk what was goin on but at idle just like that my icp was like 23-25 and about 700 psi

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
ICP Voltage
PID 2216ad
Short Name: ICP V
Minimum Value: 0.0
Maximum Value: 5.0
Scale factor: x1
Unit Type: Volts
Equation: (((A*256)+B)*(72/10000))/100
ODB Header: Auto

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Oh yeah, one other thing...
Do you have access to a oxygen or argon bottle? Something with higher pressure than a air compressor will work much better for a air test.
For all that goes, a porta power would work great.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88