6.0 possible injector issues

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
How did the pressure test go?
I had to go get it started it wasn’t close enough to the shop the didn’t wanna ether it. But I’m pretty sure it’s the ficm you only hear the injector clatter for a few seconds and it’s realllll weak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to go get it started it wasn’t close enough to the shop the didn’t wanna ether it. But I’m pretty sure it’s the ficm you only hear the injector clatter for a few seconds and it’s realllll weak

Could be FICM, could be bad batteries, could be.......

So once you got it moved closer to the shop, did it get air tested?

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Could be FICM, could be bad batteries, could be.......

So once you got it moved closer to the shop, did it get air tested?
No it will be today they were gone when I got it moved and it was about 25 degrees last night when I moved it so I didn’t feel like air testing it.ill letcha know as soon as it gets done today

Crawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the truck have the issue when cold or does it have to be warmed up?

How much pressure did y’all put to it?

Setup your sct to show more PIDs at one time. Rather than the default layout.

Then setup the screen to show
ICP
IPR
FICM output
EOT
ECT
RPM
And the rest is up to you.

Then log that or video it.

We need to see what the conditions are when it occurs.

Also have you been able to check the KOEO voltage on the ICP yet?

Crawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there anybody that can put an IDS or AE on it to do a power balance test?

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Does the truck have the issue when cold or does it have to be warmed up?

How much pressure did y’all put to it?

Setup your sct to show more PIDs at one time. Rather than the default layout.

Then setup the screen to show
ICP
IPR
FICM output
EOT
ECT
RPM
And the rest is up to you.

Then log that or video it.

We need to see what the conditions are when it occurs.

Also have you been able to check the KOEO voltage on the ICP yet?
I haven’t checked the Voltage at the icp but it’s worse with it unplugged then plugged in. And we tested it with the pressure we always do like 100+psi.ill try and get a video of it with the sct set up different the trucks at the point it barely runs now I’ve had to either it to get it to start to check stuff now

Crawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still feel that it is a leak. But I’ve been wrong many times before.

Considering what you’ve tried so far...

If I didn’t have access to the diagnostic equipment needed, then I would be looking at pulling the valve over and running the truck. Watching for the condition and watching for a leak.
Check torque on the hold downs.
Then I’d disconnect the injector harness, inspect for bent pins, ohm the injectors, ohm the harness, etc...

After that, you’re looking at pulling injectors and having them tested unless you can borrow some to try out the swap.

While I’m thinking of the injector hold downs, what were they torqued to?

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
I still feel that it is a leak. But I’ve been wrong many times before.

Considering what you’ve tried so far...

If I didn’t have access to the diagnostic equipment needed, then I would be looking at pulling the valve over and running the truck. Watching for the condition and watching for a leak.
Check torque on the hold downs.
Then I’d disconnect the injector harness, inspect for bent pins, ohm the injectors, ohm the harness, etc...

After that, you’re looking at pulling injectors and having them tested unless you can borrow some to try out the swap.

While I’m thinking of the injector hold downs, what were they torqued to?
Not sure I’ll have to ask them what they torqued um to.if they weren’t torqued enough wouldn’t the problem occure under a load and be constant instead of intermittent.like the problem is always there but when you start it it’s real bad then you can shut it right back off and restart it and it’ll idle smooth then you can unplug the icp and it’ll start agian then plug it back in and shut it off and restart it the problem goes away.atleast for the bad idle and black smoke at idle.theres not a possibility that maybe one of the injectors on the passenger side is in the wrong spot causein all this is there

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
And on the temps that it does it at it doesn’t matter actually when it all started the truck was good and warm drivin around it does it cold or if it’s been ran awhile

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
And it’s really not low on power even in the stock tune I pulled outta the shop the other day and layed to it and roasted both back tires off.

Crawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure I’ll have to ask them what they torqued um to.if they weren’t torqued enough wouldn’t the problem occure under a load and be constant instead of intermittent.like the problem is always there but when you start it it’s real bad then you can shut it right back off and restart it and it’ll idle smooth then you can unplug the icp and it’ll start agian then plug it back in and shut it off and restart it the problem goes away.atleast for the bad idle and black smoke at idle.theres not a possibility that maybe one of the injectors on the passenger side is in the wrong spot causein all this is there

The reason I asked about the torque on the hold downs, is that I’ve seen them overtorqued and it ruins the holddown bolt. Then you never know how much you’re actually compressing the injector and the washer into the bore. Doubtful that’s the issue. I’m just thinking out loud.

It could be a bad pump. I just don’t see that being it, if it ran fine until the work was performed. Most times it’s something that was worked on. Not just a pump that chose to die.

When the ICP is unplugged, the ecm commands the IPR to close. That raises the pressure in the rails.

The fact that it does it then, makes me think leak. I know y’all didn’t find one. I just can’t help but think there’s one y’all aren’t hearing.

Remind me, what year truck is it? Sorry I help a few guys on various forums and chats. I don’t want to be off on my train of thought.

The injectors are interchangeable between cylinders. Shouldn’t matter which one goes where. Sometimes we move injectors around to see if a problem follows it. But on a good running engine combo, it shouldn’t make a difference.

If you were closer to me I’d have already driven over and been testing it myself. Not because you can’t do it. Just because I want an answer too. This kind of chasing of problems is frustrating.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
The reason I asked about the torque on the hold downs, is that I’ve seen them overtorqued and it ruins the holddown bolt. Then you never know how much you’re actually compressing the injector and the washer into the bore. Doubtful that’s the issue. I’m just thinking out loud.

It could be a bad pump. I just don’t see that being it, if it ran fine until the work was performed. Most times it’s something that was worked on. Not just a pump that chose to die.

When the ICP is unplugged, the ecm commands the IPR to close. That raises the pressure in the rails.

The fact that it does it then, makes me think leak. I know y’all didn’t find one. I just can’t help but think there’s one y’all aren’t hearing.

Remind me, what year truck is it? Sorry I help a few guys on various forums and chats. I don’t want to be off on my train of thought.

The injectors are interchangeable between cylinders. Shouldn’t matter which one goes where. Sometimes we move injectors around to see if a problem follows it. But on a good running engine combo, it shouldn’t make a difference.

If you were closer to me I’d have already driven over and been testing it myself. Not because you can’t do it. Just because I want an answer too. This kind of chasing of problems is frustrating.
Trucks an 04.5 icp is up front. Before we did all the work when the hot start issue occurred every once ina while it would stump but I figured it was from the leak.thats also why I replaced the ipr thinking maybe it had trash in it.it don’t stumble like it did before wide open like it would loose power for just a second then be fine.its got everyone stumped I can’t find anything on a 6.0 doin this.it starts and acts just like a bad ficm.but everything else shows it’s not cause the truck hasn’t lost power or voltage.plus we changed the ficm and it’s the exact same.i would think a bad hpop it wouldn’t have any power at all or if there was somethin in a injector cause when your on it there’s no miss for damn sure

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online