6.0 possible injector issues

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Did you ever get car gauge pro or anything like that?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Ya I’ll run to town later and grab it outta the obs. That thing might eventually run agian I keep buyin trucks instead of fixin um[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since it’s an 04.5 and you did work on the passenger side-pull the ICP, do an air test there. That’s your most likely source of issues.

Up to you if you want to pull the valve cover first. But I’m guessing you’ll probably be pulling it based on what we know.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Since it’s an 04.5 and you did work on the passenger side-pull the ICP, do an air test there. That’s your most likely source of issues.

Up to you if you want to pull the valve cover first. But I’m guessing you’ll probably be pulling it based on what we know.
Ya imma pressure test it there and probably change the ficm with my buddy’s just to see if that’s it. Will on 03 ficm work?

Crawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya imma pressure test it there and probably change the ficm with my buddy’s just to see if that’s it. Will on 03 ficm work?

I just had a chance to watch the vids. I noticed that your supply voltage to the FICM was low. Even though the FICM is outputting 48v, that low input can cause issues. Plus the 48v may not be to all injectors.

The buzz and balance will tell a bit more.

Though a truck can fail a buzz and even fail a balance and run ok, depending on a few factors.

An example of this is a truck I have in my shop now. Fails the buzz on number 2 and 4 injectors. Shows a cylinder a contribution code on number 2 cylinder. Power balance shows one cylinder (cyl 2) as being low. However if I move the injectors around and put the two offending injectors in different holes, then they still fail the buzz but the cylinder contribution goes away and the power balance is in acceptable range.

Another truck was exactly the same except the cylinder contribution still showed (moved with one of the injectors) but the truck ran well.

The 03 FICM should start and run the truck for testing.

But The low supply voltage is still a small concern.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
I just had a chance to watch the vids. I noticed that your supply voltage to the FICM was low. Even though the FICM is outputting 48v, that low input can cause issues. Plus the 48v may not be to all injectors.

The buzz and balance will tell a bit more.

Though a truck can fail a buzz and even fail a balance and run ok, depending on a few factors.

An example of this is a truck I have in my shop now. Fails the buzz on number 2 and 4 injectors. Shows a cylinder a contribution code on number 2 cylinder. Power balance shows one cylinder (cyl 2) as being low. However if I move the injectors around and put the two offending injectors in different holes, then they still fail the buzz but the cylinder contribution goes away and the power balance is in acceptable range.

Another truck was exactly the same except the cylinder contribution still showed (moved with one of the injectors) but the truck ran well.

The 03 FICM should start and run the truck for testing.

But The low supply voltage is still a small concern.
Supply voltage has to be ficm related before this started it never dropped that low.pretty sure I got it to low when I first had the problem from cranking on it

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Imma check the plugs real good on the ficm tomorrow.but with the icp unplugged it looks real bad and smokes like a freight train from the upped pressure at idle

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yeah, something is going on.
Unplugging the icp shouldn't make it lope and smoke more. Lol

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Yeah, something is going on.
Unplugging the icp shouldn't make it lope and smoke more. Lol

Even eith a bad injector it shouldn’t? It does it when the pressure spikes up about an idle inless it’s under a load

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Bad injectors is a whole nother story.
I just mean in general. Lol

Ya I know. Imma take a ficm of a 04 Harley truck an see if that fixes it I know that truck ran good before it popped a head gasket

Crawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d bubble test it(super fast, super easy). And if no bubbles I’d air test at the ICP since the work was performed on that side.

I bubble test and air test every truck that I take apart before I even start it. I’m t takes a few minutes. But it will save a tear down occasionally. For the one it catches, me it will make up for the time on the top there that are perfect.

There is always a chance of cutting an injector seal when installing th HP oil rail. I’ve done it and it’s cost me a bit of time testing after and tearing it back down.

If the truck passes that, and there is a running issue, then most of the time it’s electronic.

You need to isolate the possibilities.

Unfortunately even if you swap FICMs, it doesn’t tell you if it’s electronic or mechanical. It just clears up one of a dozen possibilities.

How long since the headgaskets were done?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online