6.0 over boost problem.

trugertha1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey all a friend of mine has an 04 6.0 and its over boosting. ford says its making 35psi. we just put a new stock intercooler in. its so bad that you can barely drive the truck as the wastgate just blows all the boost off.......o haha as i was writing this he called now its blowing white smoke haha o well i guess

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
Sounds like its blown up now. It might have a stuck VG turbo. There are fins in there that move to change the AR of the turbo. If they stick it will build boost way quick. If you continue to run it that way it will blow a head gasket real quick
Ken

trugertha1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanx for the repley njken...the fins were definatly stuck and overboosted and blew the headgaskets...after 1 dealership said they didn`t know what was wrong with it.. tore up the egr cooler haha good thing she was under warranty....anyways ill be around this 6.0 forum more now, cause im in the market for my own...thanx for the help.

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also - because it is a VGT (variable guide vanes on the turbine side) you do not have a waste gate. Any excess flow/pressure will "back flow" out the air inlet.

tailgatewagon

Reaction score
im going through this right now as well.

our truck
2004 450 2wd
turbo stuck closed,
intercooler blew the end tank off.
exhost side of turbo destroyed(from carbon suposidly)

was told by lots of people that if you make more then 35psi sooner then later your head gaskts are going to go bye bye so i pulled the heads with the cab on, found one bent push rod and no damage to the heads or valves, local ford guy said he has seen 6 or so 6.0 with a few bent push rods from suden decleration.

the fix.
ordered rivier city diesel black onyx head gskts,
industrail injection turbo
fuel pressure regulator kit
arp head studs
egr delete kit.
banks technicooler.

anyway its all been fairly strait forward. this is the first diesel i have ever taken apart. and its not bad. kinda tight but im used to working on aircraft so tight is relitive........

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
Its a fairly common problem. Too bad it caused you so much greif. Best of luck
Ken

dmartin

Reaction score
just got my 6.0 back from the shop after having head studs and egr delete on for a grand total of about 3000 miles it is now back in the shop losing coolant off the back of the motor somewhere

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just got my 6.0 back from the shop after having head studs and egr delete on for a grand total of about 3000 miles it is now back in the shop losing coolant off the back of the motor somewhere

Hopefully it is just the EGR cooler hose.

dmartin

Reaction score
well after all the work i had put into it heads milled egr delete arp studs and a few other things im thinkin about just gettin rid of it and tryin for a newer body style 7.3

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well after all the work i had put into it heads milled egr delete arp studs and a few other things im thinkin about just gettin rid of it and tryin for a newer body style 7.3

An EGR cooler hose is not a big deal. I wouldn't give up on a truck just for that - it really isn't an issue any bigger than batteries needing to be replaced after 4 years.

msta999

Reaction score
If you changed out he intake part that has the maf sensor in it, you may need to change it back. The angle can be different and read the incoming air incorrectly. The over boost does sound like stuck turbo vanes........