6.0 2003 TURBO F@RTING.........

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds good to me...

....it's something I do on a regular basis 6.0 or not anyway.

Especially after a long tow or slow running. I like to give it a couple of good goosings and blow out any extra soot left in the exhaust side of things.

I also use a lot of fuel treatment. Pretty religious about it, I don't puff smoke, (except when the ICP is cracked in half because it's made of cheeep plastic and both inventor and engineer ought to be slapped and fired from their jobs-you think I'm a little bent over that?) or when there's a air leak in the turbo hose.

As far as exercising the vanes, I don't see why not. I understand most of the problem comes from rust. I'm lucky in that aspect, I live in the desert and it's basically slow to rust stuff. Spooling and unspooling turbo like in city traffic may be an opportunity between stops to exercise the vanes.

Maybe someone else has a better solution or idea.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Capt Tom,

Thank you for all the good information. I understand, I had and ICP throw a code, and started researching replacing it. I agree on the 03-early 04 the engineer should be shot for the placement of the ICP and IPR sensors. I guess they learned when they put them back up front, but changed the EGR Cooler.... anyway.

I agree with the fuel treatment, I use Power Service Diesel Kleen silver in summer, white in winter. I can tell a difference with and without the treatment. (Power Service is just a personal preference, any good treatment would work). I also use a station that sells alot of diesel........

As for exercising the turbo and the EGR, I do agree that you need to drive it "hard" once in a while. For the most part, the Ex is a "local" vehicle, picking up the kids from school, getting groceries etc. When I DD the first couple of days that I drive it I notice it seems a bit down on power and sluggish. I have a 30 mile one way mixed commute (County Roads, Interstate, City Streets) and when I get onto the interstate, I will roll into the throttle if the ramp is clear, and roll into it until I have it on the floor.... I am normally at the Interstate speed limit before I get to the bottom of the ramp, it is not unusual to see a bit of a haze when I do this, and after a couple of trips to work it is back to normal, I do know they like to work and be driven, they do not like to putt around and idle..... I do idle mine, but I make sure the next few traffic lights, I am fairly ******* the throttle.....

I am 100% stock with all the factory installed parts..... so it seems to be working for me....

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your experience is the same as mine across the board on all diesels I've ever used regarding the sluggishness after a long idle period or low power use.

Blowing 'em out seems healthy, whether it's marine or street application....and it doesn't need to melt the tires type of gunning either....not that, that isn't warranted from time to time on your favorite track or flat water run. :sly