5.9l 1st gen 12v vs idi 6.9/7.3 pros and cons

safd1919

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok guys here it is, im building a 1964 ford 1ton 4x4 (its the big open fender style) im to the point of putting the motor in and this is where im stuck at.... i dont know if i should build up a ih idi motor or a cummins.... i want power but driveablity its going to be a daily driver.... i was planning to put a ih in it but now idk..... help please.......

safd1919

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5.9 vs ih idi's pros n cons

ok guys here it is, im building a 1964 ford 1ton 4x4 (its the big open fender style) im to the point of putting the motor in and this is where im stuck at.... i dont know if i should build up a ih idi motor or a cummins.... i want power but driveablity its going to be a daily driver.... i was planning to put a ih in it but now idk..... help please.......

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well being that you are doing a swap I would jump on the 12v Cummins band wagon. You can build big power out of one of those a lot cheaper than an IDI. They don't have as many quirks either.

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
if youre going to tow with it at all go cummins. unless of course you want to buy my turbo'd IDI so that I can go cummins!!!

safd1919

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its not really a cost thing, i have access to a 92 3/4 ton ram..... 2wd tho but is all good, guy wants 2400 but its been sitting for some time so i bet i get it for less.....

safd1919

Full Access Member
Reaction score
goats? howd it get that name....... the miles are way low like under 100k and i'v been looking on ebay abd craigs list and cant seem to really find anything..... but im really looking for the drivetrain

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online