5.9 in a 1500

BigSix

Reaction score
Went to lunch in a co-workers '98 1500 reg cab today. He's always kept his truck clean like new and it shows. It has no rattles and uses no oil. He just had the transmission serviced so I figured he must be at about 50,000 miles. Nope... Just turned over 103,000 miles. I buy diesels for their longevity (mostly the novelty) and haven't kept one for more than 89,000 miles as Dodge keeps coming out with new models that lure me in. I did keep an Isuzu Pu'p for over 300,000 but that was back in the days I couldn't afford to trade up. I was impressed by the 5.9 at 100k and wanted to share since the forum is fairly quiet.:D

Whit

Reaction score
I have heard alot good about the power and reliability of these but I did see the on 1/2 ton trucks they got the worst milage, I will stick with my 20 mpg and have the power there when needed.

Cheers, Kevin

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My dad had a 98 QC with a 5.9, it got horrible mielage (10?)and then he bought a 5th wheel and the mileage got worse (8?). Then he bought a 99 QC with the Cummins so he could improve his overall abilities. Chipped it, beefed up the transmission, its a stump pulling sumabitch now. He still gets 12-13 with it under load. He -cuss like a well digger when I tell him the Stroke gets 20. :peelout

Mike

howling

Reaction score
That's funny I have been driving a 99 For a few years and I have always got 20 in town and about 26 on the highway.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shhh,

Dont tell my old man that, he'll realy come uncorked:yell: :yell: .
He just cant get good mileage on it, the dang thing pulls like theres no tomorrow but his mileage is the *****.

Mike

BigSix

Reaction score
Yeah you're right about that... My buddy's 360 loves gas but it's been a good truck. I was just surprised at how "like new" it is at 103k. We usually think of gas engines being on the way out by 100k. His is silent running. All you hear is the injectors ticking like it did new. And the rest of the truck inside and out it shiny and like new. I'm not at all envious of him. He's envious of me having the quad cab and Cummins. He should have one. He's the type to keep a truck as long as it would last. I should bequeath him mine and take his to trade on me a 600.:D

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
i just got a 360 magnum in a van-It seems to like fuel a lot.Awsome power and excelleration-I drive it like a 90 year old to keep fuel consumtion down.The oil looks new after 2000 miles no oil consumption at all(13000 miles on it).I don,t know what the MPG will be as I am only on my second tank of fuel (35 gal Tank) seems to like it though :puke:.I am planning a 4000 mile trip with it this fall.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online