4WD Lo Doesn't Work in Reverse?

MOWOG

Gearhead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need to back up a steep driveway with my camper on so I thought putting it in 4WD Lo would be perfect, but it doesn't seem to work? I tested this out in a local parking lot. It goes into Lo range just fine and works great in Drive, but when I put it in reverse it goes back to the taller gearing? Hubs are manual and they were unlocked. Is this how the BW1356 is suppose to work, or is something broken? Any insights here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Jim

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 97 F350 crewcab is in low range when I put it in low range , the lever doesn't lie. I've been using it for moving my loaded trailer in tight spots and backing uphill to the barn lately. its never changed into high range backing up for me? its not easy to switch from low to high range under any load. are you sure yours is ?

MOWOG

Gearhead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I know... it seems impossible. I'm going to do some more testing.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
manual shift t-case? Is the lever "moving" when switching from drive to reverse?

MOWOG

Gearhead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, it's manual shift. Thanks for the thought. I'll check that out when I can. I'm packing things up to head out to Idaho/Montana.this weekend. Jim

MOWOG

Gearhead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, I went for another test run. I put it in 4WD Lo Range and it stayed there. It worked as expected in Drive, but Reverse just didn't seem very low. That's probably because R is higher than 1st in this transmission. Also my test area is the local Safeway parking lot which is not long enough to get a good feeling of the difference between R Lo Range and R 2 Hi. So I guess it's just me again. You guys can all go back to what you were doing. Thanks for the help. Jim