4wd conversion questions.

bblaweless

Diesel Kid
Reaction score
Hey fellas, I'm sad to announce that I rolled my old Idi....and it's time to move on.

I've found a new truck to start on and I've got a few questions.

My Idi was 4wd Dana 60 swapped standard (zf5). Manual transfer case. Lucky everything underneath the body survived during the crash so it's all salvageable. Ext cab Long box.

My new truck is a 1996 7.3 PSD.
Ext cab Long box, auto, 2wd.

I would like to use my old truck as a donor to 4wd swap my new truck. Will everything on the old Idi swap over to the psd without too much headache? I think I'm going to keep the auto trans as it's in good condition, and i don't feel like doing a transmission swap.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Benny.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
The only issue would be the auto is a 2wd transmission. The transfer case is a married design, and bolts to the back of the transmission. The tail shaft and housing is different between the 2wd and 4x4 transmission. They can be swapped, a 4x4 tailshaft and tailshaft housings from another automatic can be used, but the transmission has to be completely disassembled as the tail shaft is last out, first in....... so no matter what, the transmission has to come out. It would be just as easy to swap in the manual from the IDI.

Since both trucks are an OBS, all the pedal box and pedals, clutch master would be a direct swap. I don’t think there’s any computer working that would have to be done to go from auto to manual. The bell housing bolt pattern should be the same....

The 4x4 stuff should swap over, but you may have to drill some holes for everything to mount up. If the body is the same, extended cab long bed, the driveshafts should swap......

The big advantage you have is a doner truck. The little you can steal from the doner add up quick if you have to buy them. Like the transmission floor pan, you can just swap it instead of finding one, or having to cut the one you have......

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the auto PCM will run, but you'll probably get a 'hiccup' around 40mph when the pcm tries to ground the TC for lockup. Easy solution is to get a chip for the pcm programmed for a manual transmission.

bblaweless

Diesel Kid
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys.

From what I can see the hardest part about the front end is going to be the lead hangers. Going to have to drill new holes for them, and weld the fronts. Seeing as the 2wd trucks are coil front end.

Also- turns out the truck is actually a short box, so I'm going to have to shorten the rear driveshaft, but who cares.

Does anyone have experience with the coil-to-leaf conversion on a 2wd?

Thnx
Benny

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Three of the holes will already be there for the front hangers since they share them with the radiator support mounts. Makes it easy to locate the hangers properly, but it’s three more rivets you gotta deal with. I did a coil to leaf conversion on here a while ago, look up project jerry. All the pics are still there

bblaweless

Diesel Kid
Reaction score
Three of the holes will already be there for the front hangers since they share them with the radiator support mounts. Makes it easy to locate the hangers properly, but it’s three more rivets you gotta deal with. I did a coil to leaf conversion on here a while ago, look up project jerry. All the pics are still there
Thank you!

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That will only work with a rsk, you can’t use that with just regular spring setups unfortunately

1dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a option since a lot of guys want rsk anyways. True it won't work if you don't want any lift.