4R100 trans replacement

rwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to replace trans in 99 SD 4x4 with used unit w/ TQ converter, plan to replace fluid,drain plug pan, filter, new cooler/radiator, and range selector switch/NSS. Any other seals,other items within reason I should do while out besides complete rebuild? Understand there is a front pump seal change on later trans, its a plow truck and not ready/afford a rebuild, possible transgo shift kit? or wait to determine trans function, It is a 5.4 gas, but did not get any response in gas forum, any advice appreciated, thanks.

rwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, would you recommend a new TC also? little hesitant about used one, too easy to replace now, gamble with another r&r

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IIRC Ford went from the triple disc to a single, had to much trouble with the triple.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yeah, but after market I think everyone says the triple is better. At least the powerstroke era trucks. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Thanks, would you recommend a new TC also? little hesitant about used one, too easy to replace now, gamble with another r&r

Yes, I wouldn't go crazy with a high $$$ converter. You don't want to put a really good converter on a used tranny. Get a basic multi disk converter.
Even with a 5.floored I would use a multi disk converter.

rwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
May have dodged the bullet on the trans, got the transfer case out (manual shift NP) and drained it, lots of black oil and metal glitter, well figured refill with fresh oil and dump again and check, so playing with selector to check all gears, couldn't find neutral every time, some times all the way one way it would go to neutral then not, so flipping case around on the floor hear a noise like gear sliding then got neutral, keep messing with it sometimes have it sometimes not, regardless of selector position, finally selector locks up, so figure TC is the problem, see pics. small shift fork lost its plastic wear pads and wore thru fork allowing small gear to move out of fork and go where it pleased, in this case it would set between the planet gears which I believe is neutral and fork couldn't always bring/keep it to a drive position, apparently this gear is H, L AND N, larger one just 4WD. The truck is one of my sons plow trucks, and he had said the TC case linkage had come apart and had it in 4H which was ok for 2 days of plowing, so he fixed linkage and all was good for a couple of days then just stopped moving, then move and so on, kind of like clutches slipping, reverse seemed ok also. Still not sure of the transfer case failure, linkage coming apart and stressing the shift fork in a bad way or PO lack of maintenance, but it happened quick, truck was running well, trans shifting good no slipping ect last plow. So going to get u-pick TC for 60 and try that lot easier then trans, pretty sure that's the problem. Any one know if the electronic case's can be used, by just taking shift motor off and using manual linkage? seem to be more
of those around.
You must be registered for see images attach

rwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So lesson for the day keep linkage tight and checked and fluid changed. Anyone have any diagrams of linkage assembly? looks like a large washer/spacer is gone or corroded away, son said that the arm assembly slide off the rubber bushing, all is mounted to trans, may have to turn a new plastic/nylon bushing , if not available.