4R100 FLUSH PROBLEM

Rodm

Reaction score
Hi, to all. New to your site and a bit run down fighting pneumonia. I have been trying to finish a complete flush of my 2000 7.3 Excursion 2 x 2 using Mark Kavolsky's method. The pan was drained, dropped and filter changed. Torque converter had no drain. Over the course of the vehicle sitting almost3 weeks 10 quarts drained out. I added 6 quarts Mercon V to the filler tube started the truck with hose attached at transmission return line however the flow to the catch container is almost non existent. I was able to catch maybe 2 quarts when the engine was first started but then the stream died while running through gears. How long should I run the engine for in park before going through gears and how long to wait for pressure to build up. I really dont want to burn my tranny up.

THANKS A BUNCH Rodm

Rodm

Reaction score
I replaced the fitting at the rear of the transmission and decided to do the flush from the front. I found the return line at the transmission cooler on the passenger side of the vehicle. The flush was pretty straight forward but could never figure out when to turn off engine during the flush. I know 19 quarts came out total as I measured so now I have to top off. I do have some strange OBSERVATIONS: The fluid that came out of the pan when I drained it was BLACK had no odor and was almost like water 10 quarts. During the flush at the front the fluid was brown and had the transmission odor. The second part of the flush when I added my second set of 6 quarts the color was more normal like when I check the dipstick. BEWILDERED that I could have 3 different colors of fluid in the same transmission unless I presume I have a blockage ?????

Rodm

13fcolt

former professional
Reaction score
As far as I've seen, any blockage in the trans would have killed it. The reason for the color change is that as the new fluid is pushing out the old, there is some mixing going on.
That will cause dark old fluid to lighten as it's being flushed out.