4r100 bypass and lines on an E4OD

JLtoolman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am trying to put a 4R100 bypass, larger lines, and larger cooler on the E4OD in my F350. I talked with Brian at BTS, and he told me how to do it. My problem is one of the 3/8" lines is no longer available from Ford (imagine that). Has anyone done this with soft lines? Maybe SS braided lines with -AN type fittings? I want to use a stacked plate cooler. Anyone have a preference over a 99-03 stock cooler? All help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
John L.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Brake line will work. You can check with a junkyard for the bypass.

As for a cooler. TruCool Max brand by Long. This is a V10 cooler without the Ford brackets. 6.oh cooler is good too.

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
I have a stock cooler off a 99-03 7.3. It's an aluminum staked-plate type. It has always run about 100F above ambient after more than an hour of driving or towing. Even plowing snow, which generates a bunch of heat, I have not gotten trans temps above 180F, and that is pushing it HARD. Usually around 150F, or about 120F above ambient at the time.

I just have rubber Trans/Oil cooler lines off of steel stubs out of the transmission

JLtoolman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ordered the bypass today. Thanks to everyone for the information. I like the looks of the trucool, but don't know which size to use. I also like the 99-03 OEM, but it is pricey.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So you want to change the original 5/16 line to the larger 3/8 line?? If so you are going to need to drill out the rear trans case return fitting. When I got my BTS trans Brian sent me the 89 trans case with the small fitting at the back. I ended up purchasing a drill bit and tap for the new larger threads. Best I recall is it WAS a national pipe thread but.. It was not tapered. It was straight cut threads. That fitting is sealed by an o ring so it has straight cut threads. When I shipped back my core trans I gave the drill bit and the tap to Brian. That was around 80 bucks in bit and tap. When was I ever going to use it again... Ask Brian about the thread size. I do not want to tell you the wrong size because of the cost of a mistake by me.

leojr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I got my BTS trans Brian sent me the 89 trans case with the small fitting at the back.

Is this a year model issue? I got factory 3/8" lines and bypass a few months ago for my '96 and haven't installed them yet.

Edited to add: Dangit, I didn't pay attention which forum this is. If it is any help, I got one line from rockauto and another from fordparts.com. One of them also had the bypass but don't recall which one. I can dig further if it helps.

Last edited:

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a 'lightly hardened' '94 E4od' with 5/16 lines and a TruCool max on my 7.3 factory turbo and experience
the same temps that jhenegh listed doing the snow plowing which works the truck and blocks the radiator from
an unrestricted air flow.

JLtoolman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this a year model issue? I got factory 3/8" lines and bypass a few months ago for my '96 and haven't installed them yet.

Edited to add: Dangit, I didn't pay attention which forum this is. If it is any help, I got one line from rockauto and another from fordparts.com. One of them also had the bypass but don't recall which one. I can dig further if it helps.

Thanks for the help. I will call Rock Auto for the line that Ford don't have, or maybe both. Mine is a '94, but I don't know what year the core was that my transmission was built from.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
The 4R100 pressure bypass will bolt up to all E4ODs. No drilling no modifying. It replaces the original check valve at the rear of the tranny.

JLtoolman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 4R100 pressure bypass will bolt up to all E4ODs. No drilling no modifying. It replaces the original check valve at the rear of the tranny.

That is what I have been told. You have to change the cooler lines to the larger ones (3/8") that fit a "99 and up 4R100".

The numbers that I was given are F81Z 7A030AA and F81Z 7A031CF. The numbers that Rock Auto have in stock are F81Z 7A030CA and F81Z 7A031CE. I know these are the same basic lines but I don't know what the suffixes mean. Can anyone help with those? Since I am adapting them anyway, I am tempted to just order them.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you google your 2 part numbers,you'll see those are commonly used in the 5/16 to 3/8 swap along with the bypass.i think your good to go.
F81Z 7A030CA
F81Z 7A031CE

example;
http://www.powerstrokenation.com/forums/26-transmission-related/148497-s-d-cooler-lines-obs.html

that said,i still don't see why you don't just buy the bypass and some 3/8 brake line and bend 'em up yourself.save some $.:sly

i suppose your concern must be,that you won't be able to get the tight bends correct without kinking the line.i see the concern there.

iv still got to get around to doing this to log truck.i forgot.

Last edited:

JLtoolman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you google your 2 part numbers,you'll see those are commonly used in the 5/16 to 3/8 swap along with the bypass.i think your good to go.
F81Z 7A030CA
F81Z 7A031CE

example;
http://www.powerstrokenation.com/forums/26-transmission-related/148497-s-d-cooler-lines-obs.html

that said,i still don't see why you don't just buy the bypass and some 3/8 brake line and bend 'em up yourself.save some $.:sly

i suppose your concern must be,that you won't be able to get the tight bends correct without kinking the line.i see the concern there.

iv still got to get around to doing this to log truck.i forgot.

I saw that, but the bypass is a different number than the one I have ordered. I guess I am making too much out of this, but I don't want to wind up with a bunch of parts that don't fit each other. I think the two lines that I have in my Rock Auto basket are about $40, including shipping. I have the bending tools, but I can never bend close to the end of the line, and flaring steel is something that I am not good at. At one time, I had good flaring tools, but someone else has them now.:mad: This junk you buy now is not worth taking home.
Thanks for your help.
JL

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sounds like you ordered the odd ball 1 year 1997 E4OD bypass then.

F81Z-7H322-AA replaced by: 2C3Z-7H322-BA ----- this is the 4R100 bypass.

F75Z-7H322-AB replaced by: 2C3Z-7H322-AA ------ this is the late E4OD bypass.

the ATSG manual states;
FORD E4OD
COOLER BYPASS VALVE ADDED
TO SOME 1997 MODELS
CHANGE:
REASON:
PARTS AFFECTED:
INTERCHANGEABILITY:
Some 1997 Econoline, Expedition, F-150 Trucks and F-250 Trucks have been equipped with a
Cooler Bypass Valve Assembly that requires sealing washers on both the "To Cooler" end and
"From Cooler" end of the bypass valve assembly, as shown in Figure 79.
Increased lube flow during cold weather operation.
(1)
(2)
(3)
COOLER BYPASS VALVE ASSEMBLY - Added between the cooler line fittings in the case, to
increase lube flow during cold weather operation (See Figure 79).
CASE FITTINGS - Requires special case fittings to retain the "Banjo" ends of the cooler bypass
valve assembly into the transmission case (See Figure 79).
SEALING WASHERS - Requires sealing washers on both of the "Banjo" ends of the cooler
bypass valve to seal properly (See Figure 79).
The new design Cooler Bypass Valve Assembly will retro-fit back to all previous models, and we
would recommend the 4R100 style bypass valve assembly, as shown in Figure 79, because you do
not have to bend the existing cooler line to get it hooked up.

SERVICE INFORMATION:
F75Z-7H322-AB
F81Z-7H322-AA
Cooler Bypass Valve Assembly (E4OD Style) .................................................
Cooler Bypass Valve Assembly (4R100 Style) ................................................
Cooler Bypass Valve Sealing Washer Kit .........................................................
SPECIAL SERVICE NOTE:
If a removed Cooler Bypass Valve has an "O" ring installed, remove the "O" ring prior to reinstalling
the assembly. The "O" rings are only used to hold the sealing washers in place for
shipping purposes. If the entire Cooler Bypass Valve requires replacement, be sure to remove
the shipping caps and "O" rings prior to installation.

why do they recommend the 4r100 style,since when you'll be retrofitting the part,you wont be using existing cooling lines though i wonder? sounds odd doesn't it?

any rate,i think either will work.though the 4r100 will be the one readily found used/most common of course.
2C3Z-7H322-BA

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 17

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member