4L60 transmission problems...

IH POWER

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
Okay fellas, last few nights I've noticed my truck has been shifting differently and finally last night it started slipping really bad in OD and mildly bad in Drive. So today I pulled the pan and drained the fluid and changed the filter (after breaking 2 bolts off) and got it all put back together. Wasn't any big chunks of metal in the pan. But there were chunks of somethin in the fluid but they weren't magnetic. Any idea of whats going on or whats going to happen soon? And haven't got a chance to test drive it yet.

PackRat239

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The failure in auto trans usually isn't metal parts, (and if it is, it is aluminum, which is non ferrous) but the clutches and bands going out, usually from not being serviced and adjusted regularly, or overheating. The material you found was probably band material, looks like brake dust or chips.

PR

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
How many miles does it have on it? The 700R4, 4L60,4L60E transmissions which are all the same basic transmission, Ussually by the time they get to 150K and up have burnt up the 3-4 clutch pack and the overdrive band. If that is the case the only thing to do is rebuild or replace it.

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is the fluid that came out a nice red color? or is it a dark brown? smell it and see if it smells burnt, sounds like what was said above, clutches and bands worn,

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you had chunks of whatever in there could be clogging in the valve body stopping proper pressure on the clutch plates or band causing the slipping, have you ever had it flushed? an actual flush not just dropping the pan and refilling it

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
What year is the transmission? 92 and older or 93 and up? If 92 and older check the TV Cable adjustment.

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
PM me and I can give you information on transmission rebuilds, You may like what you hear.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online