4bt in a 95 f150

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if this is the wrong area then I can post it somewhere else. I have a customers truck that has a 4bt with i think a zf5? I just need some help identifying the transmission and the parts I need to get. the owner says he needs to keep on adding fluid to the clutch master but I cant see any leaks. the clutch grabs when you release it about an inch from the floor, im pretty sure that's not good. what is most likely the problem and do i need to replace the master or the slave cylinder?

You must be registered for see images attach

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Looks like a small bolt pattern ZF5. The slave is internal on that one. And what kind of master cylinder is that? I've never seen one that the hose came out of the bottom and not straight out.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Like Crash said it looks like a SBF ZF5, and if it is, the slave will be inside the bell. For parts, pretend its a 1990 F350 with the 351, and a 5 speed trans, which was the sbf zf5.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More than likely it has the 300 six setup(not much difference really). Cummins had a repower program for bread trucks that originally came with the Ford chassis and had 300 sixes in them. Bellhousing adapter, motor mounts, everything to drop it in. And from what I am reading, the front chassis of the bread trucks was the same as the pickups, so they drop right into a 1980-up Ford pickup. So like the others already mentioned, it's probably the small Ford pattern zf.

If this truck was originally a stick all it's life, I would also check the firewall for cracking. Besides losing travel, when the firewall cracks it doesn't support the master cylinder for the clutch properly and it will want to wear it out and make it leak all the time.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Darrin tosh has a 4bt in droopy with a sbf 5-speed if I remember correctly. He might know details of parts and how it fits together if you run stuck. I think he has a thread in the conversion area.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i looked at the fire wall and cant see any visible cracks so i don't think that is a problem. i ordered the slave cylinder for a 1990 f250 with a 5.8 and the master for the truck the motor is in. does that nylon pressure line come out of the master? i know it comes out of the slave but im not sure.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok so i got everything together but i noticed there is some play in the clutch shaft. it looks like there is a nylon bushing that has gone bad. what is the best way to replace it?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Pedal box bushings.
I don't have the part number on hand, but search here and should find it. Mine were like $15 from sunrise ford.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they are the same as the brick nose bushings they are in my build thread with pn's.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks for all the help guys, i got this thing out of the shop and on the road. ;Sweet