4BT Cold Start fail @14°, fail @18°, fail @25°, Success @28°!

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
One Word: Synthetic......

My 6.0 would do the same thing at those temps, use Chevron Delo 5W40 Full Synthetic and it fires right up.....

I think with synthetic that you could get by with just the one battery......

My 6.0 has sat since Saturday evening and the highs have been in the 20's and lows into the teens (I screwed up my knee last Wednesday and Momma has been driving the gasser because it actually warms up and has heat, and the truck is my daily driver). We were outside this evening, and after the glow plugs cycled (I know you don't have any preheat) but it cranked over like it does when the temp is much warmer. Before I changed it over, even after the plugs cycled in this weather, it would crank over just like your truck did. With 15W40, anything below about 25 degrees I would have to have the block heater plugged in for it to have a prayer of spinning over. At 12 degrees a few weeks ago, the truck turned over better with the synthetic than at 30 with conventional oil....

BTW - That is one sweet little Ranger. I have liked the Ranger since it was released and have always thought the 1st generation was the best looking Ranger. If you ever want to get rid of it...... I may know someone that would be interested...... LOL

I am actually glad to hear that Ford is bringing back the Ranger in 17/18 and the Bronco (on a Ranger chassis, so more like the idea of a Bronco II back in the day (which I wanted one SO bad.....)). I am hoping they put a baby PSD in them, like the Brazilian and Aussie Rangers have. A 4x4 Diesel Ranger/Bronco that pushes 30MPG.... THAT would be my Daily Driver/Commuter!!!!

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I second what Scott said about synthetics helping, although I think I'd also go ahead with the dual batteries. IMHO there's no such thing as too much cranking power ;Sweet Also, did you simply not hook up the intake grid heater, or did you eliminate it altogether? If it's still present, any thoughts about reconnecting it?

Also, random thought...I was looking up battery recommendations for my Jetta, and saw this comment: "It's always takes a Canadian to explain the importance of having a battery with high power CCA to crank an engine, Diesel engine specially, in a deep freeze temperature." Seems like sound advice LOL (especially to this California native who can count on one hand the number of times he's seen snow in his life :rotflmao )

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on synthetic fellas. I'm just about due for an oil change so I'll give it a go. I should have plenty more cold days to see what it does. As far as the grid heater goes, this 4B simply wasn't equipped. Many of them weren't. I guess since these were medium duty only applications they figured the fleet crew could figure out how to get all the bread vans started on cold mornings. If I had the cranking amps on tap, it really doesnt seem like I would need one, just need to get it to spin fast enough.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just go all Russian on it and build a fire under it. Maybe a propane hibachi for you suburban types. LOL

You aren't the only one. My buddy texted me last night and said his wouldn't start. No GPs or grid heater or block heater on the Mog.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Just go all Russian on it and build a fire under it. Maybe a propane hibachi for you suburban types. LOL

You aren't the only one. My buddy texted me last night and said his wouldn't start. No GPs or grid heater or block heater on the Mog.
:rotflmao My neighbors would love me even more. :rotflmao

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My neighbors don't know what to think about me. Just ask them. [emoji6]

FordGuy100

Reaction score
A wiff of ether isn't a bad thing. In fact, you could install a ether injection system. Just saying...

I use to know of a screw in type grid heater. Somebody put it in their Nissan diesel (I forget the type, but its a inline 6 that came in some IH scouts). Said it helped a lot. But if your having a hard time turning over, a pre heater of sorts will only make that worse as it will draw down the battery before cranking.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use to know of a screw in type grid heater. Somebody put it in their Nissan diesel (I forget the type, but its a inline 6 that came in some IH scouts). Said it helped a lot.
Interesting! My first diesel was a Scout...the engine was model SD-33T ('76-'79 Scouts used a non-turbo SD-33), and mine had glow plugs from the factory. Are you saying that the person installed this in addition to the factory glow plugs? With enough battery power, I could see that helping a lot :D

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
... But if your having a hard time turning over, a pre heater of sorts will only make that worse as it will draw down the battery before cranking....
Yeah, this is what I was thinking too.

Here it is: Glow coils. This particular one has spark plug type threads. They were used on VT903 Cummins (V8) to help starting (they used 8). I bet if you got two of them, it would help cold starts. Plus they are pretty cheap...

http://www.amazon.com/Champion-167-Glow-Plug-Pack/dp/B001S8WPGK

Those look really cool, urrr I guess hot.. I'm going to limp through this winter, then add another battery and see what that does. I may look into these if I need something to lean on for even colder starts.

i thought the first Ranger was in 1965 :D

Ha! Unless you are talking about the ones NASA launched. I think those started in 1961 :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online