440 MOPAR

indian347

Reaction score
Any one here good on trouble shooting this monster. My brother rebut it and bored 30 over !Added a high rise and 2-4 barrel Holleys. Added a high pressure oil pump from Summit !Now is been running good. But he developed a slight rear main leak . He has a few miles on it and decided to change oil to syn !!! Now the rear main got worse also his oil pressure doped from 60 when cold to [ 0 ] when hot !!! So he changed the filter & put another gauge on it but it stays at [ 0 ] when hot. Also the lifters du not HAMMER AT ALL. Thats what i can't figure. We sure need some help on this one. Oh by the way its in a 71 Cuda Thanks much Jim

Roland_Jenkins

Señor Member
Reaction score
Worn cam bearings can let the oil pressure drop. 440's have poor oiling. At high RPM they can pump the pan dry. Unless the oil drain holes in the heads have been opened up.

If it were me I'd swap back to a stock oil pump or change the spring out of the high pressure one. Not a big deal due to the oil pump being external.

I would also drop the oil pump out to make sure the oil pump drive shaft didn't snap off.

dieselbeef

Reaction score
im guessin if ya didnt braze the pickup tube on that it fell off..common issue

synthetics will always leak more than dino oil

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Might look at the pump.High pressure is not the same as high volumn.Might not have enough volumn to keep up.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im guessin if ya didnt braze the pickup tube on that it fell off..common issue

synthetics will always leak more than dino oil

Except they thread in to the block on a big block.