-40 winters and starting

Suddenly

Reaction score
Hey guys with winter coming up I figured now was a good time to ask some questions I haven’t found a solid answer for.
Our winters here in Edmonton can and usually do hit -40, although rarely. This will be my first year winter driving my truck and I’m looking to prepare myself as best as possible.

Is it worth running a lower weight oil for winter months?
Does anyone run oil heaters? Stick on vs magnetic?
I think I have a trans cooler that comes off the lower rad, will this heat my trans fluid at all or should I get one of those stick on heaters?
Battery’s are good and glow plugs seem strong.

gandalf

Reaction score
The trans cooler built into the radiator does heat your transmission fluid on initial startup and driving. Then, after a while, that same cooler will act as a cooler for the trans fluid. The E4OD trans runs better and more efficiently after the fluid is warmed to a certain point.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AT those temps I'd have some sort of coolant heater and a stick on oil pan heater. Not a bad idea to keep the batteries warm or trickle charged. Also make sure your starting system is in tip top shape. These things turn over slow as they get cold and won't fire if they don't get enough speed. I can normally start at around 10 degrees unaided. Under 10 it might start. Much under 0 I always try to get my block heater or tank heater plugged in for a while before starting. I also have battery tenders on my trucks as I don't run them a lot anyway and in the cold it makes sure the batteries are topped off.

Suddenly

Reaction score
AT those temps I'd have some sort of coolant heater and a stick on oil pan heater. Not a bad idea to keep the batteries warm or trickle charged. Also make sure your starting system is in tip top shape. These things turn over slow as they get cold and won't fire if they don't get enough speed. I can normally start at around 10 degrees unaided. Under 10 it might start. Much under 0 I always try to get my block heater or tank heater plugged in for a while before starting. I also have battery tenders on my trucks as I don't run them a lot anyway and in the cold it makes sure the batteries are topped off.
Good idea with the battery tenders I’ll get that set up.

Has anyone set up a diesel fired heater on these trucks? Webasto or otherwise?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Does your block heater Not work??
Sometimes, that isn't enough. If everything's in top shape that's all you should need, but let there be a little wear in the pump/injectors, or maybe the timing's a little bit off and it may not start.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it worth running a lower weight oil for winter months?
Yes, running a 5w40 year round, or 5w30 during winter (outside temp below 32*F) is recommended.

Does anyone run oil heaters? Stick on vs magnetic?
I've run both, stick on seems to work better. The dipstick heaters are near useless. Having a functioning block heater works the best though.

I think I have a trans cooler that comes off the lower rad, will this heat my trans fluid at all or should I get one of those stick on heaters?
The cooler will only heat up the fluid if the radiator has shutters or a cover over the grill. If it doesn't have shutters or a cover, the coolant temp at the bottom of the radiator will be just as cold as the air outside, and do zilch for heating up the atf. You can run an atf heater, but it's better to run a modern synthetic trans fluid that stays fluid in cold weather.

Battery’s are good and glow plugs seem strong.
Make sure the alternator is up to ***** too. 3g upgrade is recommended. Cold weather really zaps batteries and charging systems alike.

Scooch

Reaction score
I live in Northern Ontario so we see similar temperatures with lots of days well below -30. I've never switched from 15w40 oil even in winter (although I'm sure it would help). Just good glow plugs, batteries, block heater and a decent starter and even with me leaving it sit for months it will start within 1-2 tries every time. All that to say I wouldn't be too worried just make sure the important things are working correctly and anything you add like the heaters will only make it easier. Just my 2 cents.

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Curious how many people posting to this has experienced -40? Not windchill vehicles do not cool to windchill temp only cools at the rate of windchill to the non windchill temp.

Good batteries as said.
Engine should start instantly in warmer weather.
Get your glow plugs up to par.
Add a switch to burn glow plugs longer, but leave the stock timer intact. Just have to trigger the glowplug relay
Injector and pumps need to be in good shape.
No weak compression.
A good starter that spins fast, I have experienced old ones that start turning slow.
Treat starters and glowplugs as consumables.
Anti gel additive, stanadyne green, blue works also.
A good block heater is enough if everything else is up to par.
Let it warm up, pumps act kinda weird at -30 and below.
I like the idea of a webasto, instant warm heat wherever it is parked. Do they make them with a small 12v generator to run the blower?

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Curios how many people posting to this has experienced -40?
I certainly haven't. I'd probably stay in the house for a week afterwards if it ever got that cold here. Now, heat, on the other hand, I've seen 126 in the shade.

Suddenly

Reaction score
Curious how many people posting to this has experienced -40? Not windchill vehicles do not cool to windchill temp only cools at the rate of windchill to the non windchill temp.

Good batteries as said.
Engine should start instantly in warmer weather.
Get your glow plugs up to par.
Add a switch to burn glow plugs longer, but leave the stock timer intact. Just have to trigger the glowplug relay
Injector and pumps need to be in good shape.
No weak compression.
A good starter that spins fast, I have experienced old ones that start turning slow.
Treat starters and glowplugs as consumables.
Anti gel additive, stanadyne green, blue works also.
A good block heater is enough if everything else is up to par.
Let it warm up, pumps act kinda weird at -30 and below.
I like the idea of a webasto, instant warm heat wherever it is parked. Do they make them with a small 12v generator to run the blower?
From what I’ve read about wabasto heaters is that you’re best setting them to a timer for just a few hours tops to keep coolant warm so I doubt you’d have to worry about draining the battery