4.7,5.9,V10 or Hemi's

BigSix

Reaction score
There's got to be some gas Ram owners hangin' around. If not we need to rope some in. What have you got and what do you use it for? The Hemi in a 2500 with 4.10 is rated to tow 11,400 lbs. Not a light weight at all... Bragging rights earned!!!

Attachments

• jeffroshemi30k.jpg
    jeffroshemi30k.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 196
B

Big K

We have an '01 Durango w/the 4.7.

'Cept for the silly oil filter location and orientation, (yeah, it's gay;) ), we can't complain. almost 80k and counting.

If it lives for another few years, I'll be happy.:D

I had to talk her out of the 5.9 when we bought it. The 4.7 is plenty peppy, so I didn't have to work too hard to do that.

I think that I'll have somewhat less luck if/when I have to try to talk her out of the hemi. :(

'Course, the fuel economy may well turn out to be as good as the 4.7. The way she drives ;burnout, that's about the only thing that hasn't impressed me.

NAIL BENDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
03 4.7 dakota auto for the wife. 15.5 - 16.5 mpg aint the best but it will do. After driving her 93 4cyl 4runner, she is in heaven. She Loves this truck.

MUDDY

Reaction score
78 w200 and damn proud of it. got 360, 727,np203 dana 44/60 w/ 4.10s

11 mpg when babied with a tailwind. gutless as heck w/ the tt in tow and about 5 mpg or so.

traded a mac 90 and some mags and ammo for it a couple years ago so i figger i did ok. got new mud tires on it too

a far cry from the 01 w1500 off road pckge swb r/c i used to have as a 2nd truck/run around and mud runnin/off roadster. least i aint got payments. the 01 was good off road and good run around rig, got 16 mpg when drove easy but it was no match for the cummins when the tt was hooked on.gutless in comparison. couldnt use od even on level. had the 360, 46re, and 4.10s. factory lift w/ off road pckge but added a couple more. id still have it if werent for paymnts. too hard to have the ultimate tow rig and sink money into a runaround rig too

Attachments

• 78w250tt4mile.jpg
    78w250tt4mile.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 186

BigSix

Reaction score
My Mrs also has an '01 Durango with 4.7L. I was alittle leary of the new motor but went for it over the 5.9. I'm glad we did... City mpg is only 12 but we get 20mpg hwy at 70mph with cruise set consistantly. It has 3.55 ratio. City mpg is most likely due to my right foot. It's pretty quick and sounds good too.
I just switched to Valvoline synthetic to ward off sludge as the Mrs only drives 4 miles too and from work. I agree the oil filter is awkward to change. I get oil up the arm every time. Maybe I'll try the freezer bag trick next time. It works great with the Cummins.

MUDDY

Reaction score
pic b4 the lift and ***** bumper

Attachments

• w1500tt4mi.jpg
    w1500tt4mi.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 194

BigSix

Reaction score
Hey Muddy, Dang them are tig ol' bitties! I can relate... I had a '75 B300 one ton Maxivan with 360, 727 and 4.10 ratio. I got 11mpg in town and hwy no matter how I drove it. It wasn't too peppy either but very reliable. It sounded good though. It had duals with glasspacks both exiting the left side Nascar style. I used to through 4,000 lbs of elevator test weights in it and all it did was make it ride good. At 140k~ miles, I traded it's perfect but alittle rusty carcass in on an '84 Isuzu P'up diesel for the mileage.

NAIL BENDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I lay a bunch of rags up through the hole in the skid plate and use a ziplock bag. This works pretty good as long as you don't drop the filter. They need to make the access hole a little bigger though, its hard to get your knuckles out while holding the filter.

BigSix

Reaction score
Ours is a 2X4 so we don't have a skid plate. If we did, I'd probably take it off unless we were going rock crawling. Ours is simply the awkward angle it's in over the sway bar.

NAIL BENDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ours is the same with the angle.:rolleyes: Why the hell the filter isn't pointed straight up and down and unencumbered, I don't know? What do these designers think?

B

Big K

Originally posted by BigSix
My Mrs also has an '01 Durango with 4.7L. I was alittle leary of the new motor but went for it over the 5.9. I'm glad we did... City mpg is only 12 but we get 20mpg hwy at 70mph with cruise set consistantly. It has 3.55 ratio. City mpg is most likely due to my right foot. It's pretty quick and sounds good too.
I just switched to Valvoline synthetic to ward off sludge as the Mrs only drives 4 miles too and from work. I agree the oil filter is awkward to change. I get oil up the arm every time. Maybe I'll try the freezer bag trick next time. It works great with the Cummins.

Our city mileage is much better, 'bout the same as NB's, but our hiway may not be quite as good. Never really road tripped it. Ours has 3.92's, and is 4wd. What size tires on yours?

BigSix

Reaction score
Ours has the stock 265/70R16s that come with the SLT Plus package. The 3.55 gears make it work harder on every launch but keep the rpm down on the highway. My '98 5spd/4.10 Dodge Cummins got 18-20mpg in town and 17mpg highway. The 4.10 ratio isn't a bad choice at all if your driving is mostly in town. 3.92s with the slightly shorter tires are probably comparable to 4.10s in the big trucks.
The last time I changed the oil in the Durango, I loosened the filter alittle but not enough to let it leak around the seal, poked a hole in it to let it drain, then removed it. It was alot less messy that way.
I wouldn't bet a paycheck on it but, the 4.7 Dodge motor looks like a twin sister to the 4.6 Benz motor.

BigSix

Reaction score
I traded my '03 Cummins in on an '05 same truck but Hemi. It's smooth as silk with no vibrations at all. The 5spd tranny works great. If it's anything like the Allison, I can see why folks like the Allison. A real tow haul mode with grade breaking. I hope the Mercedes blood Aysen however you spell it born 5spd is a reliable piece of mechanical haberdash. It sure drive's nice. If Dodge can figure out how to beef it up and put it behind the Cummins, then they'll have something. The Cummins is in my opinion the best pickup engine available. The Dodge truck makes me happy. But they screwed up with the 3rd gen in my opinion. Hopefully they'll figure out how to put the two togetherness without vibrations and PCM troubles and bandaids to cover problems instead of setting it up right to begin with. To bad they didn't keep the tried and true 2nd gen to put the ISBe in with the big ol' Dana 80 bringin' up the rear...

Venom

Testing Some Crap Out
Reaction score
Still have a '96 with a v-10. Been a great truck, I have had no problems and have been very pleased with the power and economy for such a big motor. It gets comparable mileage to our durango with the 5.9. I cant figure that one out. They both have the 3.54 gears. I bought my 01 cummins 2 years ago and if I could have found a v-10 with the 6 speed, I would have gotten it instead.

BigSix

Reaction score
There was an '01 QC long bed with V-10 and auto I would have liked to have bought at a car lot close by a couple of months ago. It was in great shape. I wanted to own one before they got discontinued. I was tempted but passed on it and it was gone a couple of weeks later. Someone got a nice truck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online