4.10 to 3.55 swap for $85 -- worth it? (Rear only)

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey OBN'ers!

I have a local guy selling a sterling 10.25 for $85 with 3.55 gears in it. I live on a 70 mph freeway and my 4.10s arent doing me any favors in the MPG department. Probably 70% of my driving/towing is freeway or highway too.
He said it was pulled from a running driving pickup just swapped a different one for some reason.

Sound like a good deal? I have 4x4 so I would need to re-gear the front badly and have no current line on a matching set of gears.

Ddizzy77

Reaction score
What are you trying to do with your ride? Do you plan to tow? Or are looking for the most mpg? I'd probably stick to 410 if you're gonna be towing. Otherwise I'd pick it up and keep an eye on a matching front.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The primary use of my pickup is towing a 4500lb trailer 5 months out of the year for a side business I own.

Now that I have a really dialed-in turbo+charge air cooler setup it seemed just peachy to drop gears for better MPGs. The power is there for sure. I'll spend more time in 4th but thats a stronger towing gear anyway.

Last edited:

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How easy is it gunna be to find a front?
The price is right, but how about a brownie box?

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How easy is it gunna be to find a front?
The price is right, but how about a brownie box?
That's sort of the kicker, getting a D50 out here seems to be tricky. I'll have to take the time to look at the truck boneyards for that, closest one is almost an hour drive.
I haven't found any type of gear splitter/OD unit that was less than $700 used and that's just too much for what I want to do here. I'd love one though.
towing 4500 with 3.55s and a turbo you will be very happy.
Thanks for the encouragement! I haven't felt it personally but from what I've read it seemed like a natural fit.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too bad you ain’t closer, I’d swap you front and rears free. I want 4.10 and have 3.55.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3.55s are great with a zf and a good running turbo idi, i have no issues pulling 10k plus in fifth on the highway, if you get up to a hill or need to pass drop in fourth and let the turbo sing. I wouldn’t mind going to a 3.27 in the shop truck.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too bad you ain’t closer, I’d swap you front and rears free. I want 4.10 and have 3.55.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aw dang! Road trip! Lol I wish...

3.55s are great with a zf and a good running turbo idi, i have no issues pulling 10k plus in fifth on the highway, if you get up to a hill or need to pass drop in fourth and let the turbo sing. I wouldn’t mind going to a 3.27 in the shop truck.

Awesome glad to hear it! Is that what's in the shop truck?

gfemling

Reaction score
I have 3.55 w Hypermax turbo but T-19 towing 6k trailer and works fine. Would like lower geared 1st at times but have low range if necessary.
Just to help your possible search for 3.55 D50, I got mine from an ‘88 F350 std cab w C6 trans. Sure there are other combos that had but this combo worked as a source for me ;-)

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 3.55 and it really kills the get up and go or hill climbing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online