1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

300 HP 6.9

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by Laine D, May 18, 2020.

1. Laine D

Laine D Full Access Member

I am interested in your guys’ opinions. I have put about 10k on my 6.9 since it was rebuilt and am now slowly starting to upgrade it. I am curious if 300 horsepower is out of the question for a 6.9. It will be intercooled, already studded, and am thinking about running a Borg Warner s257 or larger.

2. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc Registered User

The motor will handle 300 hp no problem. Quite a few builds on here at or exceeding that power level. Heck, Banks advertises 260 Hp with his Sidewinder Turbo kit and using the stock injector pump. That said, I don't think you will be able to clear the 300 hp mark with the stock Injection Pump, though. Search some of the engine builds on here by TheWesPaul at Classic Diesel Designs for more info and specs

Last edited: May 21, 2020 at 2:41 PM
    Laine D likes this.
  3. Laine D

Right after I wrote this I have him a call. He cleared up a lot of stuff I had been wondering about.

4. rhkcommander

rhkcommander Full Access Member

Fuel was always the limit on these engines. That and the heads lifting under boost but studs and turbo cam help cure that. Slap on an ip and what you plan on and you're probably set.

5. Laine D

I’d be happy if the truck could get on the freeway faster than a vw bug haha

6. nelstomlinson

nelstomlinson Full Access Member

It's not slow, it's stately! It's the same truck, but it sounds so much better if you say it like that.

The_Josh_Bear likes this.
  7. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc Registered User

Getting on the free way is no problem with mine. 8 forward gears and the 4.56 rear end allow it to get moving just fine. I just wish I could climb a hill with the trailer on the back with out down shifting 4 times and cresting the top at 38 mph while flat on the floor and turning the side of the trailer black. But the Turbo I just ordered from CDD should help with that problem.

8. Laine D

It will for sure. I’m on the opposite end from you. 5 speed with 35’s and 3.55’s. Great for staying at 75-80. Terrible at getting there..

9. Laine D

I might just use that

10. Oledirtypearl86

Oledirtypearl86 Full Access Member

My 86 I have a top speed of like 60 with a t19 but I can pull anything I have a hypermax turbo a maxed out up and run like 14 psi of boost and I'll hold grades in 4th gear and I tow my 34 foot 5th wheel no problem

jericho and Laine D like this.
  11. typ4

typ4 Supporting Member Supporting Member

A torque cam makes a world of difference in this aspect.

Macrobb, carsonlhammond and jericho like this.
  12. Laine D

I am thinking about pulling the engine when I do the rear main. Just so I can fix some crap in the truck that bothers me. Your cam is on my list. I lug it everywhere

carsonlhammond and typ4 like this.
  13. chris142

chris142 Full Access Member

Where is your timing at? Mine was -2atdc and the truck was a real turd. Advancing it to 6-8btdc made a huge difference.

14. Laine D

Not sure but i have it bumped up pretty good. It’s not that bad I guess. I don’t have trouble keeping up with traffic. I just am never in a hurry

riphip likes this.
  15. Macrobb

Macrobb Full Access Member

My own 2c - With a stock pump and turbo kit(any), you are looking around ~200 HP at the wheels max. That's probably 260-270 at the crank, which is about what Banks advertises.

You'll probably need an upgraded IP if you want more than that; plain and simple. RD2-110 will net you 250 RWHP with a kit turbo, and probably around 300 RWHP with a better turbo setup(CDD, R&D etc).

Personally, my DD's just got a worn IDIT motor, WW2, stock pump cranked, 4.10s and a 5-speed with GVOD... she probably makes around 180 RWHP.
    It's both plenty and not enough - towing a 3K lb flatbed yesterday at 70MPH, I'd go between double OD(equivalent to 5th with 3.55s) and OD; maintaining 70 wasn't too hard.
    Towing a decent load back(I'm thinking about 7K on that trailer, so total of 10K), I was in single OD, and had to downshift to 4th occasionally on hills. Maintaining 60 was easy, 70 was really pushing it(~900-1K EGTs in 5th at like 2500 RPM on flat-ish ground).

I've also towed ~14K behind me; it takes a bit to get to 60, but is very easy in the 0-40 range for back roads.
    It's very much one of those things where once you get to speed, it's not hard to maintain, but going from a stop requires winding her out in every gear.