3/4 ton Bronco

RedTruck

Reaction score
Hello folks,

I'm hoping some of you can talk me off the fence (with experience or constructive criticism). I'm about due for a new vehicle. I have a wife and two kids (booster seats). I'm looking for something I can use for my family but also as a gooseneck hauler. My wife doesn't like driving large vehicles and quite frankly something smaller works better for our parking situation. I have the remains from a project F250: frame with D70 rear, D60 front and gooseneck hitch. All work required to do the build aside...what would be the pros and cons of this?

I understand I'd need to remove the top to use the 5er. I've seen a local fellow that has a rear bulkhead to seal off the cab to use as a pickup so to speak (80-86 Bronco). I'm ok with switching cabs (so to speak) and just having a two seater for hauling. I know the spring wrap issue would need to get addressed early on. I've called our local DOT inspections and they say (believe it or not) it's possible to keep this with the larger GVW from the F250. I'm a little nervous about this statement when the rubber would actually meet the road, especially based on Mel's experience with his conversions (this would be diesel).

From experience does anyone know how different a short wheelbase vehicle handles with a load as compared to a longer wheelbase. If it is more rough, is it so much more so that it's out of control? I've done some searching on heavy truck forums and can't seem to find a straight answer. I'm sure slippery roads would require much slower speeds as I'm sure the shorter wheelbase vehicle could jackknife much quicker. With the heavier frame and axles and brakes plus the heavy transmission how different would this be than a regular 3/4 ton pickup?

Thanks much for any discussion!

Paul

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
To answer your question about short wheel base towing
my parents have a Toyota FJ Cruiser it sucks for towing the trailer drives the truck. LOL
So I would only do a gooseneck with a long bed.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
X2 ^^^^ What he said. It is not fun when the trailer tells you where it is going!!!

RedTruck

Reaction score
Thanks fellows,

I was hoping I could get away from that affect by the weight involved, but I'm sure you're right. It sure would be handy...family hauler, old iron hauler, snow plow, good mileage. I'll have to think about it some more.

Thanks again. Much appreciated.

Paul

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Thanks fellows,

I was hoping I could get away from that affect by the weight involved, but I'm sure you're right. It sure would be handy...family hauler, old iron hauler, snow plow, good mileage. I'll have to think about it some more.

Thanks again. Much appreciated.

Paul
A Diesel Bronco with 1-Ton axles would be Awesome.