2wd tie rod confusion?

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need to replace the drag link and figured I would just do all the tie rods at the same time. When I'm looking up parts, it seems like everything for 2wd is showing up as having 22mm thread for the right inner/outer and 20mm thread for the left inner/outer. Does that sound right?

I want to be sure, because the 4wd parts show up as all having 22mm, so it seems odd 2wd parts would be listed as having both 20mm and 22mm threads.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can tell you I accidentally bought 2wd outer tie rod ends for my 4x4 in my sig and they worked fine. Eventually changed them out but only realized it after install so it went with it. Mine is an 89 though so it may not be apples to apples.

Another thought, it might be the site you're using is wrong? Try Rockauto and another one to cross-reference maybe. Like Napa or Dana/Spicer.

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can tell you I accidentally bought 2wd outer tie rod ends for my 4x4 in my sig and they worked fine. Eventually changed them out but only realized it after install so it went with it. Mine is an 89 though so it may not be apples to apples.

Another thought, it might be the site you're using is wrong? Try Rockauto and another one to cross-reference maybe. Like Napa or Dana/Spicer.

I was using the rock auto site. Other sites show the same thing. I suppose I can just buy the parts at a local store and return them if they don't fit.

Slicknik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@pickupman , size is dependent upon your GVWR for the front axle , I believe it’s 4200 and below is the smaller size 20mm and 4200< is 22mm size . I took my outer tie rod with me when I ordered them from Napa , and used calipers to measure as well. Just a heads up.... NOT Cheap parts especially the drag link( 175$~)

I replaced my drag link/driver connecting rod and outer ties rods a month ago along with the ball joints /camber adjustment bushings and did an alignment ,
what a difference. 100% change in how it handles and drives

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online