2wd Front wheel bearings

IDIDually

Reaction score
Another first time attempting a repair and get stuck right in the beginning trying to order the dang parts.
My front right (passenger side) wheel bearing (I assume) went out. It’s Making a metal twisting, grinding sound every time it hits a certain spot in the rotation. I parked the truck again till I get it fixed.
I looked online trying to search for 92 Ford F350 2wd Dually front wheel and seal bearing kits. Man ole man the mass confusion and knowing I’m going order the wrong parts.
To my knowledge, I need an inner and outer bearings, inner and outer races And a seal for 1 side. I was told I can rent a tool that takes out and places in the races.
Is there a part I’m missing? Also, is there a dependable site y’all go for ordering these parts. A highly thank you in advance….

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jack it up and wiggle the wheel, push the top up and in, pull the bottom out and up. look for play
should help determine if its bearing or brakes grinding
the hub could be hot, it might pull / feel like a flat tire
been a long time since I had a dually, but I don't remember a special tool
I tap old races out with a small crowbar or drift, drive new ones in with a socket or pipe

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Any general auto parts store should be able to match the race and cups to rebuild it. I don't think an official 'rebuild kit' was ever made for the 2x4 front wheels.

Generally when a wheel bearing goes out you'll have a continuous groan from the bearings, and the speed of sound changes with vehicle speed. A consistent hangup noise at a certain wheel position is usually a warped rotor.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Another first time attempting a repair and get stuck right in the beginning trying to order the dang parts.
My front right (passenger side) wheel bearing (I assume) went out. It’s Making a metal twisting, grinding sound every time it hits a certain spot in the rotation. I parked the truck again till I get it fixed.
I looked online trying to search for 92 Ford F350 2wd Dually front wheel and seal bearing kits. Man ole man the mass confusion and knowing I’m going order the wrong parts.
To my knowledge, I need an inner and outer bearings, inner and outer races And a seal for 1 side. I was told I can rent a tool that takes out and places in the races.
Is there a part I’m missing? Also, is there a dependable site y’all go for ordering these parts. A highly thank you in advance….

You might want new spindle nuts, cotter pins, and dust caps too just in case. The old dust caps wouldn't stay on after I removed them, despite looking fine, so new ones were needed.

This is my 85 E350 but it's probably similar on your 92 F350:

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Your local parts store should be able to look them up for you.

As stated above the races should have numbers stamped or etched in them. The parts store can match the bearings and races to that number. The hub usually has a spot where you can pound out the race with a punch or large screwdriver if you have one you don’t mind goofing up.

You can buy a race and seal driver set at the parts store or Amazon to properly knock them back in With a hammer. I press my races in with that tool but that takes a press.

I use one of these and a grease gun to pack the wheel bearings.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have one of those bearing packers, probably bought it 20 yrs ago. I keep it in a coffee can to keep it clean. Works pretty good.

For driving in the races, i have a piece of tough plastic maybe 1 1/4 thick, place it over the race and tap it in till flush. then use the old race to drive it all the way in.
To remove it I use a drift to drive it out from the back side.

Goat

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A pneumatic or battery powered grease gun works well for that type of bearing packer. It really speeds things up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online