2WD C6 to ZF5 driveshaft question

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought I had this all figured out, however I think I just ran into a snag. All the threads I read, and have now reread, seem to point to a C6 to ZF5 swap not needing anything done to the driveshaft. However, this seems to pertain to the 4x4 swaps, not 2WD.

I have a 1986 2WD long bed extended cab truck and a 1990 or 1991 ZF5 2WD transmission I am trying to put in.

Does anyone have any experience with a 2WD C6 to ZF5 swap? Unsure at this point what to do about the driveshafts, unable to test fit yet.

ZF 5 that I have
You must be registered for see images attach

C6 driveshaft

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You're right you will have to do something. You won't be able to use your C6 driveshaft like it is. You need to have a slip joint in there somewhere.

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a more complete picture - The center slips in and out, is that enough? I'm searching all the junkyards in the area to no avail for a 2WD extended cab ZF5 manual driveshaft. Learning a lot, not sure of the exact terminology yet.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
That's enough. The slip is to account for the up and down movement of the rear suspension. So I'm guessing that the truck with the ZF5 had a one piece driveshaft? You may be able to get the front part of a two piece driveshaft that will let you bolt the front u-joint right to the yoke on the back of the ZF5 Without the slip joint that's currently there.

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I'm hoping I can do, just connect the U-joint pieces directly. I'll be on the lookout regardless for a whole driveshaft from the appropriate truck. Not exactly sure which truck this came out of, I purchased it used.

Thanks for your help, this is all new to me.

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a duh moment - measured the ZF5 overall length and the C6 overall length, something like 27" for the ZF5 and 33" for the C6. I'll have to stick it on the driveshaft lengthener to make it fit.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I was thinking that the ZF5 was shorter . At least for the 4X2 versions. The 4X2 C6 uses a longer tail shaft. Since you're probably going to end up buying the whole driveshaft, I would recommend replacing at least the carrier bearing before you install it.

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a driveshaft from a cab and chassis truck. I measured what I'd need beforehand and the one at the junkyard looked like it would work.

I bought it, got it home and stuck the front shaft in and it's less than 1/2" short. Any ideas on how I can fill the gap short of taking it to a driveshaft shop?

Last edited:

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking that, or maybe try and attach/weld something to the mount to extend it ever so slightly. Or somehow move the engine back the slightest amount.

Best is probably to just bite the bullet and take everything to a shop and measure everything correctly and have it balanced.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Slot the carrier bearing mounts with a die grinder?
Honestly, I like this idea the best. It's probably what I would do if it was mine. The slip joint on the other part of your driveshaft will easily make up for the carrier bearing being moved 1/2" forward. Only my opinion. Feel free to do what you want.

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went ahead and had the driveshaft lengthened. It was either that or slot the carrier bearing as well as have a custom rear end driveshaft made.