235-85-16 on DRW question

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Does anyone have these? I have factory inner wheel and Alcoa outer, will the 235-85-16 fit without rubbing?

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Yup. Ran the factory alcoa's and currently sporting a set of Weld aluminums. No tire clearance issues even with a 13k fiver in tow.

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i ran that size on my 88 fsuperduty worked great.

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was gunna say... that should be stock tires size. 4x4 dually werent offered until 99 iirc, only as conversions, so anything could be changed on them. But im 99% that 235/85/16s were factory on 3/4 and heavier light trucks.

zebrabeefj40

Reaction score
I was gunna say... that should be stock tires size. 4x4 dually werent offered until 99 iirc, only as conversions, so anything could be changed on them. But im 99% that 235/85/16s were factory on 3/4 and heavier light trucks.

Ummm, I'm pretty sure the '87 F350 4x4 C&C dually I cut up for parts was box stock Ford. And I learned the hard way you need 4x4 dually wheels to fit 235/85/16 tires without rubbing. Someone recently posted up a link to Accuride's catalogue page showing the various wheels used on Ford's over the years that showed the different offsets.

Nick

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4x4 dually's were offered as a cab n chassis f350. Any regular f350 dually that was 4x4 was a convert ether St another company or. In someones yard using a cab n chassis for parts.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 99.5 is stock with 235/85/R16 dually, steel inner, alcoa outer.

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
My 93 had 215 on alcoas my 95 came with 235 i swaped over wheels and tires to the 95 i can tell an rpm rise for sure id keep the 235 but they are rough and i have 5 days polishing my the alcoas off the 93 i aint givin those up lol

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4x4 dually's were offered as a cab n chassis f350. Any regular f350 dually that was 4x4 was a convert ether St another company or. In someones yard using a cab n chassis for parts.
I could be wrong, but I thought that regular-cab dualie pickups were available as a 4x4 from the factory; you just couldn't get an extended-cab or crew-cab dualie 4x4. I'm certain that I've seen them before, although maybe they weren't factory? :dunno

Ummm, I'm pretty sure the '87 F350 4x4 C&C dually I cut up for parts was box stock Ford. And I learned the hard way you need 4x4 dually wheels to fit 235/85/16 tires without rubbing. Someone recently posted up a link to Accuride's catalogue page showing the various wheels used on Ford's over the years that showed the different offsets.
That is very good to know! I'm in the early stages of planning a DRW conversion...what exactly are the differences between the 4x4 dualie wheels and the standard 2WD ones, and more importantly, how difficult are the 4x4 rims going to be to find?

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I thought that regular-cab dualie pickups were available as a 4x4 from the factory; you just couldn't get an extended-cab or crew-cab dualie 4x4. I'm certain that I've seen them before, although maybe they weren't factory? :dunno

That is very good to know! I'm in the early stages of planning a DRW conversion...what exactly are the differences between the 4x4 dualie wheels and the standard 2WD ones, and more importantly, how difficult are the 4x4 rims going to be to find?

I worked with a guy that has a late 80's 1 ton dually 4x4 with a the big 460 under the hood. That was a really nice looking truck.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pre '99,ford never offered a 4wd dually pickup in any configuration.all were 2wd.
to get a 4x4 dually,you had to buy the incomplete vehicle (truck without a bed) aka,the cab and chassis.

ford offered a wide variety of dually rims over the years.as quick rule of thumb; the 2wd dually pickups had the close wheel offsets of 5" or 5.15" (or perhaps a mix of both.)
the 4wd c&c trucks had more rim offset,which gave more space between the tires.those were the 5.35" offset.
the pickups all got 215's and the c&c got the 235's.

many have claimed to run 235's just fine on dually 2wd trucks.this is because "some",not all,had wider offset's out back,while having narrower up front.a real mixed up mess over the years.while some 2wd trucks got all the 5" offset.

i know for a fact,i couldn't run 235's with my 5" offset dually rims,which i pulled from a late 90's 2wd dually pickup.running empty might be ok.close to rubbing.but loaded up with the weight i carry,id no more than get half loaded my normal load id estimate,and my rear tires would be rubbing together.
if you want to run wider tires on your dually truck,it's very simple.install them.load up,while watching the space between the two rear tires.your looking at tire squat.so look down bottom.if you see the sidewalls start to touch,you had better stop loading.order some spacers to provide more clearance between the two wheels,and will avoid a blow out and, not fall victim to to tire rub,blow out,rip apart the rear fiberglass dually fender syndrome.:D

also there is more to consider;
dually trucks suffer from a loss of traction,because they float.they are outright miserable compared to srw.i know first hand.
you will make matters worse if you add more tire width.
also from first hand experience,dually trucks suffer from a loss of fuel economy due to more rolling resistance.the more width you add (don't forget to multiply my 6!) the lower your economy will go.it all adds up.
so by going wider than stock 215's on 2wd dually trucks,you will loose economy and traction.you'll have to decide if the style increase is enough to you.that along with higher priced tires.
choose wisely!

i went with an odd size.225/75/16.
this is because i haul heavy very often,so i wanted to bring my gearing from 3.55 to 3.84, plus since i load by hand,i wanted the 1" drop for easier loading my dump bed,which sets up much higher than a pickup bed,since it's up on large C-channel.these are a bit wider than 215's.i find i run out of rear sidewall spacing before i run out of leaf spring out back when loading.but by the time the rear sidewalls come close (don't forget to account for bumps) there's plenty on there anyway,and it's ready for a dump run.;)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
93 Farm Truck

Staff online

Members online