2015 golf TDI...?

mikepotts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay, so im changing jobs and the new one i need a reliable vehicle to work out of and im considering a new golf TDI... any issues i should be aware of? im shocked that Harpers in Knoxville has them with 23k stickers, i expected a 40+ mpg car to be more, especially with the options included, am i missing "the zonk"? thanks guys!

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm partial to the 98-02 as they are rated (and are proven to get) closer to 55mpg.

mikepotts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I'm needing something new, probably gonna drive one on my way thru Knoxville tomorrow. The company pays $.56 per mile, at 40 mpg I'm figuring on fuel cost of $.06 per mile so I will be making about $.50 mile... Should pay off a New one a little after the warranty runs out.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
people always suggest the older ones, but damn are they small, cramped and lets face it-old. Bushings, suspension etc will be worn out. Wife has an 09 and damn what a difference over a mk4. She routinely gets 40-44 mpg in detroit i75 traffic daily. Im no expert on them, other than I can say the newer stuff is definitly nice. hers is jsut DPF no SCR(urea)

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2011 and hot damn is it good on fuel, good interior, features, etc...

Why pay 23 for a new one when good 2010+ models can be had for 10?? VW has a good certified pre-owned system that nets you a factory warranty on the cheap

mikepotts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Soon after starting this thread i was the proud owner of a shiney new tungsten silver golf tdi 4 door... I guess hind sight is 20/20. Dont get me wrong, the car is great, in one year ive put 50k miles on it! I just feel like a sucker... Thanks VW.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Why? They will fix it, and give you 5 grand (hopefully). Take $1500 of that free money and delete it all.

Delete + an extra few grand makes me a happy camper.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I guess I don't understand why everyone is so bent outta shape at VW.... It's all a game, just like racing, just like trying to make CARB/EPA happy. Do everything you can to play the game. They got caught...... how many times have you heard of a NASCAR or Indycar team getting caught doing something. Pay the fine... move on..

I personally think it's GENIUS!!!! They figured out a loophole..... pay the fine an move on...... I don't see the huge issue they everyone is making about it. Would it make me think twice about buying an new VW, HELL NO!!!

mikepotts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uh... It wasnt a loophole in some rule, it was plain deception. Nascar didnt sell me a bill of goods and boldly, intentionally lie about it... VW did. I hope owners like myself are compensated, i know they have said they would, but ive already been lied to.

Cheating aside, I love the car it gets great mileage and has plenty of power to get me into and out of almost anything i get in. For me, it was bought as a tool... Basic transportatiin for work, the idea was to show an environmentally friendly, effecient mode of transportation as i made my rounds to my companys customers... Instead, i get a black eye everywhere i go..."isnt that one of VW's cheat cars, chuckle chuckle chuckle". Yes it is, all i can do is chuckle along with them while wiping the egg from my face.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
It wasn't about being a loophole in a rule, its a loophole in the software.
If you feel like you got the shaft so bad, sell your car, and never buy another.
Many companies have done the same thing. Even worse stuff like putting safety at risk.
Of course I'm going to take the money they give, but do I feel like its a entitlement? Hell no.
We've put over 60k miles on this car is about 2 years. Way less problems than any vehicle I've ever owned. Its been in for one or two software flashes, and I believe a fuse update. All of which were covered. Other than that, just basic maintenance and a alignment.
Now I don't know about you, but for coming up on 90k miles, I call that a win.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

mikepotts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess im just bitter over the whole system being rigged. As soon as it was exposed, all the GOV authoroties started lining up with fines looking to get a buck. When its all said and done politicians are gonna get rich over this... While they are supposed to be "protecting the environment."

Nevermnd my negativity guys, lol! I dont really care about the money, the car is paying for itself. Im a little over a year and 50k miles since buying and ive gotten paid $.54 a mile for about half of those. The image is a killer though and the media doesnt help things.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
That's why 99% of the time I don't follow mainstream media, unless for a good laugh.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
There are tables available now to show you what your car is worth for buyback and modification.

Mine are: $20,777 buyback price, $5950 fix price.

I'll take the fix, and the money. A downpipe and a tune will follow the day after LOL

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Link?
I only say talking about a fix with smaller sum of money, or buyback plus larger lump sum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online