2014 Ram 1500 Diesel

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Been hearing all about Dodge's big innovation, putting a diesel into a half-ton pickup. Like it's something that's never been done before.
Evidently, GM's 35 year old innovation is newsworthy, in the Chrysler camp.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Well it is mated to an 8 speed transmission and they are shooting for 30MPG with same set-up in a Grand Cherokee. Maybe the truck could get 24-27???? Dunno.

I have a hunch it may be a big flop... especially if the VM Motori V6 uses a timing belt.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
I'm sure they'll claim some outlandish horsepower, payload & mileage numbers. That seems to be an industry-wide standard.

I can't wait to hear the line of baloney(In Sam Elliott's voice).

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
considering the Europeans have been running over 50% of their vehicles with diesel fuel, I'd say they have been doing more homework on how to make a diesel livable in a smaller chassis. I hope good things will happen with the Fiat motor. We need more diesels here. hell, even Honda has their own designed diesel Accord for sale in europe, but it's conspicuously absent here.

rob93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be really great to see them put a diesel in their half tons with a cummins badge associated to it... That name is the only reason a lot of people buy dodge trucks, I think it would really make it a success

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be really great to see them put a diesel in their half tons with a cummins badge associated to it... That name is the only reason a lot of people buy dodge trucks, I think it would really make it a success
i don't think Cummins has anything that sill pass emissions that's in the 4bt platform.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
fear has a new face when you're in a Fiat Panda diesel on the autobahn trying to get up to speed. all in the name of finding a cheaper beer joint away from Ramstien AFB. :D

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
considering the Europeans have been running over 50% of their vehicles with diesel fuel, I'd say they have been doing more homework on how to make a diesel livable in a smaller chassis. I hope good things will happen with the Fiat motor. We need more diesels here. hell, even Honda has their own designed diesel Accord for sale in europe, but it's conspicuously absent here.

How about the diesel Caravan that you could get in Europe in the late 90s but not available here in the states. You are right Calvin: we definitely need more diesels, and I gotta say that a half ton diesel is a great idea for most Americans. I see a lot of Sprinter vans used for mobile hydraulic hose repair and they get low to mid 20 mpg's and that's with a ton (literally) of hose/fittings/crimper etc on board. I would be a huge fan of a small displacment high torque diesel in a Dakota sized truck.