LilRamSwap06

Reaction score
This is mostly just me dreaming because this swap is probably a long shot. Seeing as I'm not at all familiar with diesels and conversions for that matter. So I've come here to see if anyone can help me.

The Subject of Conversion:
2006 Ram 1500 -
- Single Cab
- Short Bed (The shortest wheelbase.)
- 4.7L Magnum V8 Gas with 123,000 miles.
- Transmission stock from Chrysler. (So not trusting that. Already having problems. Just hoping its sensors or something.)
- Just needing 2 years hopefully of gas miles. So roughly 20,000 more to save up and try this swap or buy a new truck.

The Conversion Parts: (I know nothing so I have no idea where I would bring this idea to, if these parts would be compatible, etc. Just a young man dreaming.)

- Cat C3.6 Inline 4 Diesel Engine (I was looking for a little diesel for a half ton truck and this one has awesome specs. Its labeled as an industrial diesel, but I assume I can use it in a pickup truck as well. Shows how much I know about all of this.) I wouldn't try to max it out so it could last even longer.

- Allison Transmission or Just Any Well-Made Tranny. (I have no idea about other transmissions. I want to keep the truck 2wd. I just want way better and more reliable than any transmission Chrysler has ever chosen. Not too hard a task. Jokes aside, just need reliability.)

The overall goal that I'm going for is LONGEVITY. I want her to run as long as possible. Low cost, problem free running. I live in South Louisiana and have no idea where I could bring this truck to have this conversion done. I'm no mechanic, I've just always loved and wanted a diesel. I've been around them my whole life. Any help would be appreciated. I just like talking about diesels and trucks in general.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
As much as I think Cummins swaps are way overdone,the 5.9 came in the 2500s and up,and the engine bay is the same as far as the size goes.If I were doing this swap,I wouldn't even mess around with the 4 cyl engines.The 5.9 is an inline 6 turbo diesel and if you get lucky you can find a 6 speed manual transmission.BUT......is it really worth it?You will probably pay at least 2 grand for a motor and tranny,then there will be a bunch of nickel and dime stuff.You can get a 2wd Ford idi diesel truck for $1500 anywhere,or 2wd dodge Cummins truck for $2500.Even a 4x4 truck is only around $3000.

Rock

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
The beauty of the 6BT from a dodge is it already has the things you need bolted to it.

Piecing together bits to make an industrial engine work can be troubling and costly. Find out if Cat will even re-tune it for that use. Their electronics tend to be proprietary.