2003 F250 6.0 vibration problems

No More Fords

Reaction score
I recently took my 03 F250 6.0 to the dealership to have the slip joint lubricated. When I got it back it had developed a loud hum and vibration beginning about 40 and gets progressively worse up to about 52mph. Took it up to 60 turned the key off and bumped into neutral. Still had the hum and vibration as the truck decelerated until it dropped below 40. Took it back to the dealer and they reported that the drive shaft was 180 out. Called and said it was fixed. Drove off the lot and there was no difference. This was not happening before I took it in for slip joint lube. Had the xmission checked, no problem. Had the driveshaft balanced, no difference. Carrier bearing was good. Had the tires checked for belt separation and wheels balanced. No change. Changed both u joints, no change..I am about out of options short of putting a bullet into the damn thing. Could this be shocks, motor mounts, bent wheel? I sure don't want to take it back to the dealership so that they can throw parts at the thing until they find one that works and charge me for all of them...IF they can find a solution in the first place.

F-SERI-ouS

Reaction score
what he ^^^^ said. moreover, if you took it in to the stealership and it was not shaking prior, and now it is, it should definitely be them paying for any balancing or extra work to fix the vibration. keep us posted, once you get it fixed.

ClatRin Whinin & Smokin

Reaction score
New to the Oilburners community because of this thread. I've only had my new 06 F350 4x4 crew cab dually for about a month with no issues or or concerns except the 6.0. The truck was checked out & passed with flying colors. Was a 1 owner old man that took very good care of his rig. So 3 days ago I took it on a 500 mile round trip, still no problems. The next day I noticed a vibration just like it sounds above as soon as I hit around 30. I stopped checked everything I could & found a flat inside, driver rear tire. Had it fixed even though I didn't think it was the cause, and it wasn't. I have also checked U joints & drive shafts with no solution yet. I want to say its coming from transfer case forward but not sure. Any Ideas Guys?
Thx for your time.

No More Fords

Reaction score
Changed front and rear u joints...had the drive shaft balanced by two different establishments. had the back half of the drive shaft re tubed...changed the carrier (hanger or swing bearing)...finally took it back to the most reputable establishment and advised them that they had re tubed the rear portion of the drive shaft and of the other things that I had done or checked. Told them that the only item that had not been replaced was the middle u joint and to change it out no matter how good it looked to them...voila!!!! No more vibration. DO NOT trust what a dealership tells you. They make up for lack of sales through soaking you on routine maintenance and repairs. They even told me that I could come to the garage and they would SHOW me that the hanger bearing was bad. Went back there and they had the truck on the rack with the rear wheels raised, and rear portion of drive shaft disconnected. When the tech got into the cab and ran the engine up you could feel a vibration in the hanger bearing bracket. They wanted almost $400 to replace it. When I asked them if they were sure that was the problem because with the rear portion of the drive shaft disconnected there was nothing to stop the front from vibrating, and that I would be glad to let them replace the hanger bearing, but if it did not solve the problem I would not pay them..of course they declined that offer. I bought a hanger bearing and me and a mechanic friend put it in...NO DIFFERENCE... Moral of the story..DON'T TRUST A DEALERSHIP. They will throw parts at a problem and charge you for them and the labor until they finally hit the right one...or NOT..and still charge you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88