2003 7.3 Surges and dies.

Powerstrokin350

Reaction score
This thing is stumping me. Just replaced the CPS after last weekend replacing the IPR and IPS. It was running rough and could die after it warmed up. Now it will still occasionally die, but seems to be after well warmed up. It only seems to occur after sitting, say at a red light, when I go to take off, it will “surge” accelerate for a second and then dies. Will crank like a cold engine with no glow plugs, fire and then lug for a second and drive fine. May repeat at the next stoplight or may not. Cleared codes with FORScan and Hypertech programmer. No codes after replacing all three sensors. Passes all the KOEO and KOER tests, except for intake heater that has been replaced with a boost gauge line.

Powerstrokin350

Reaction score
I think I may have found the problem but waiting on the parts, was probing around the other night and when I touched the drivers side injector harness going into the valve cover, the insulation on the red wire just kind of crumbled off. So I’m waiting for a whole wiring kit for the injectors/glow plugs cover gasket, and new GP relay. Nice looking kit from Dieselogic.

Powerstrokin350

Reaction score
Ok, know it’s been awhile. Replaced the valve cover gaskets and wire harnesses, seems to have improved this problem but not completely. Still will occasionally die or stutter. Thinking of a dealership CPS and maybe the throttle position sensor?

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Yeah you want to stay genuine motorcraft for these parts, but it would be very beneficial to retrieve all data/codes with an appropriate (powerstroke compatible) scanner; before money is thrown at various sensors and guessing at the problem.
Fuel restriction could also be a problem....this is a problem that is not picked up by a scanner.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online