2003 6.0 Rough Idle, Low Power/Over Power

Joe83

Reaction score
2003 F250 Crew Cab 4x4
225,000 miles
All original the best I can tell
This truck is new to me... had it about 5,000 miles.

Sometimes it runs perfect.
Sometimes it has a steady miss at highway speed when "lugging" if so, I can give it fuel and down shift and it will stop missing until it up shifts again.
The next day it may run perfect again.

I installed a new fuel pump, filters and Ford OEM blue spring kit.
I also added a jug of Hot Shot stiction eliminator to the oil.

Recently it started idling high and rough, about 1,000-1,200 RPM, black smoke and more power than I ever imagined it would make.
And again sometimes no power, and again sometimes it runs like new...

When my oil change was due I found a tall oil filter cap and a short oil filter. From what I have been told it has only been 1 oil change with the wrong cap/filter combo.
I replaced the filter cap with an OEM one and installed an OEM oil filter and changed the oil.
Everything seemed to be perfect for a week or so...
Now it's back to being erratic...
Rough idle, Smooth idle, high idle, surging and black smoke, LOTS of power at times with black smoke, sometimes no power.

So... I have no sensor data to share, can you give a likely problem?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need to get it scanner to find out what the computer thinks is wrong. You are kidding your self if you think you can just throw parts at it. Please put the truck's details in your signature. :)

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ good advice above! It always helps to have the PCM scanned for codes and to collect engine operation data.

While you are deciding on what tool to get for reading your engine PIDs, you can check the MAP sensor hose for cracks and signs of leakage. Also, you probably should check the ICP connector for signs of oil contamination (leakage) from the sensor.

Since your problems seem a little intermittent, you can look for wire/harness chafing (or loose connections). I would start at the FICM.

Joe83

Reaction score
Checked the MAP hose, bottom clamp was off but didn't seem loose, installed the clamp.
Looked towards the FICM, the coolant tank was cracked and coolant has been leaking on to the FICM, had s tank so I replaced it.
I've tried wiggling the wiring harness and can't seem to make it act up by doing so.

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still acting erratically? If so, I would then look for FICM codes and also monitor FICM MPower and LPower parameters.

Joe83

Reaction score
When I changed the coolant tank I wiggled the harness around and made sure everything was tight on the FICM.
Once finished I went to start it and it wouldn't start.
Wiggled the harness around again especially one section that goes down past the driver side back of engine.
Then it started.
Once running I wiggled the harness some more and couldn't make it do anything.
Drove it about 30 minutes with no issues other than that little miss when lugging down the highway.

Joe83

Reaction score
That damn harness, I have a used one from a salvage truck that appears to be in good shape

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is easy to break the connectors. A tip is to push in on the connector before depressing the locking tab. Then remove.

Joe83

Reaction score
Found the wires to ipr bare and shorting at times and icp leaking oil.
Repaired the ipr wires temporarily and cleaned the icp plug, "both pig tails are ordered. Replaced the icp sensor with a new style I found sometime back at a salvage yard and all is good.

I replaced the icp sensor from the top, took about 20 minutes. Started the new sensor with a rubber hose as you would a spark plug, bam easy fix.

Still got that random miss when lugging, pretty sure I need a set of injectors.

Thanks for the comments, I guess you can throw some ole used parts st one every now and then.

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
Get scanned. If you still have the EGR the valve could be carboned up. Pull it and clean it. Replace with new seals from Ford. About $10. I was having rough idle problems last November especially on a cold start and it was 3-4 of the injectors going south. Had all eight done with the upgraded stand pipes. This spring I was getting some lugging and black smoke. Cleaned the EGR valve and the MAP sensor hose and port, didn't help. Had it scanned and the turbo needed cleaning. I'm the third owner and have put less than 13K on it since March of last year. It had been babied too much which is good and bad. The babying gums things up in the EGR and turbo. Previous owner at sometime neglected fuel filters and that contributed to early injector demise. All good now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online