2001 Ford F-250 7.3 diesel transmission problems.

Eason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 2001 F-250 2wd crewcab 2wd 7.3 diesel from a cousin of mine. All the truck had ever done was pull a small horse trailer. The other day I towed my 27 ft 5th wheel 100 miles and when I went to park the camper we notices a small stream of oil marked the ground. I checked the trans fluid and it was low. We went and filled the transmission up and drove around town and watched the pavement and didn't see any leaks. Drove home pulling my gooseneck with a tractor and a utv. Total weight about 13,000 lbs. Truck pulled fine but when I got home I noticed when I went to turn into the driveway the leak started again. I checked the rear of the truck because if it had been leaking down the road the tailgate would have been covered in oil. No oil was noticed on the tailgate or trailer. Any ideas?

DieselDc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Leaking b/c it’s overheated. No load no leak. Once you tow it leaks. Time for a new BTS.DIESELSITE.JW.SamWyse. transmission. Take it to a transmission shop n get a second opinion.

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...

Skidtech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dieseldc is right, they like to leak out the tc when they get hot. Best to get a new/ rebuilt tranny. From my experience I would go with a jasper.

Skidtech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are 2 ends of the spectrum. Spending way too much money just to say you have the best, and spending very little money and getting what you pay for. The latter is amco.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

DieselDc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything is wrong with amco. Ones around me - all I hear are complaints and yelp makes them a laughing joke.

I have a bts mated to a DT360 w/ 600hp. I like bts b/c I have one. People who are up to his standards are the ones I’ve listed.

If you can’t afford any of them, then jasper is your next best bet. Or have a local guy rebuild it for you.

Last edited:

Skidtech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious, did you stuff a dt360 in a pickup or are you running it in a small truck?

DieselDc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious, did you stuff a dt360 in a pickup or are you running it in a small truck?

It’s in my f350 SD. Has p7100 pump @ 600cc.

—————signature—————

Skidtech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds like a sweet setup. I was considering a dt466 in my 99 when/if my 7.3 ever goes out.good to know it will fit.

DieselDc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s very sensitive. I let my wife drive it and she thinks it’s like a Honda. Almost went through the garage door.

Don’t do the 466 b/c fitment is very difficult. I have electric fans b/c I couldn’t fit the fan clutch. It has no heating problems - it actually runs too cool. If you want to use air condition, use a 1991 7.3 air condition compressor (belt driven).

I’m looking for a dead 6.4 for cheap so I can swap her over. At the same rate, maybe upgrade my transmissions to an allison 1000.

—————signature—————

Last edited:

Skidtech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know. When I go to do that project I will be asking lots of questions. Btw sorry for hijacking this thread my curiosity got the better of me.

DieselDc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol no worries. Ask when you’re ready!

—————signature—————