2001 dt466E radiator upgrade

Dustin Powers

Reaction score
I havent had much Google luck. Anyone know of a upgrade to the stock radiator split CAC combo in these trucks?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You could probably make anything fit. Are you running hot? Or just want to change it?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is 97 degrees in Phoenix, at 9:00 pm pacific daylight time. I would say he is running a tad hot.

Dustin Powers

Reaction score
Not too hot yet but I want to get ahead of the problem and upgrade the cooling system to be idiot proof. The 120deg days will be here soon.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Doesn't appear to be a common swap for that.
You would have to take some measurements and go to a big truck salvage to see what you could fab up.
I would assume your fan clutch is working fine? Radiator ever been flushed?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a viscous fan clutch, make sure it's operational.

International makes a full sized radiator and intercooler that should fit. I know some guys in the school bus crowd have upgraded to it. I'd recommend measuring to make sure it will fit before buying, but most I've seen have upgraded without any problems.

I have the part #'s on file somewhere. I'll have to look.

But more often then not, the fan clutch is bad and that's why you're overheating.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also make sure the radiator isn't full of crud internally and externally. A good cleaning and flush can do wonders.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Calif Central Valley isn’t quite Phoenix but close sometimes. I had this same truck in my fleet. The best thing we did was change out the viscous fan clutch for a Horton EC450 electromagnetic fan clutch.
The other thing that made a huge difference was changing out the non lockup AT540 trans for a MT640 trans with lockup converter.

Dustin Powers

Reaction score
I will do all the normal maintenance stuff, clean fins, check clutch etc. Was just curious what was available for an upgrade to the rad. so I don't have to worry about it any more. Lots of heavy loads in this trucks future, up and down grades in 105-115deg heat

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your plan is heavy loads up and down grades, an mt series Allison like garbage mechanic recommended is a great upgrade. That's if it's currently equipped with an automatic.

Some viscous clutches have a temperature adjustment. You might look into changing that to a lower temperature as well.

I know the full sized radiator/intercooler came from a mid 2000's ic school bus.