2.4 MB 4cyl diesel into a 1989 Ford Ranger supercab

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I've been hanging onto my MB diesel and 4spd manual trans for a while watching for the right donor vehicle , almost sold it last weekend but my wife reminded me how excited I was to find the car(drivetrain) in the first place so I hung on.:D

purchased a 1989 Ranger xlt with only 156,000km on it today and picking up next Friday. it has no power options other than PS and PB weird on an xlt but ok with me . most important was the cab and the frame/chassis, and they are very good. cosmetically it is challenged but definitely a good donor for my powerplant. lots of outer bodywork needed.

I have spent a lot of effort looking for the right donor truck and almost settled on a 96 exp 2wd 2dr 5spd I already have but it only had 4 seatbelts.

I will be removing most of the front sheet metal and gas related parts and simplifying the vehicle under the hood, getting some manual pedals , clutch master etc. purchasing an adapter plate to mount a smallblock Ford bellhousing to the MB diesel. have a solid T5 and smallblock bell for it.

my 240 D car was pulling over 45mpg/37.5mpg US and hope to see similar numbers as the truck should weigh in a little less than the car did. it was a 4spd car also and the OD 5spd should make an improvement?

will take pics to share as soon as I get started, small vehicle fits in my garage so wife will be happy with no yard clutter.....;Sweet

cheers James

You must be registered for see images attach

pics from the seller

Last edited:

fte

Reaction score
Deja vu! That's a twin to my Kubota powered Ranger, should be a nice rig when done. I had considered adapting a 5 speed to an OM617, but using the benz flywheel, pp, and bell then making an adapter plate between the t5 and benz bell. That way I wouldn't mess with the factory flywheel balance, Mercedes balances the engine with the flywheel as a complete assembly.

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
recently found this kit and looks like a reputable source, they only make 10 of these kits at a time and when they sell out they build another 10. spoke with the company and it fits the om616 4cyl(2.4) just have to relocate the oil filter.
these guys have been putting mb diesels in jeeps for years and have expanded to other applications but MB diesels are big for them. if the adapter works well, I plan on getting another for a 3.0 5cyl and putting it in my sport trac:D

http://www.mercedesdiesel4x4.com/product_p/a-mb203.htm

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
very cool project. subscribed!

won't be anything like your ranger, this one is only for basic transport> cheap wheels. I just like my diesels this one will probably be pretty slow , but purpose built, and the wife won't get any speeding tickets with it.:rotflmao

now i'm going to sell off a few other Fords I had been keeping in reserve for this motor just in case I couldn't find the right ranger. I have a 96 F150 shorty plain jane with a seized motor , and a 1996 exp 2wd 2dr 5spd . the alternatives> but a 89-92 ranger supercab was my goal.

yep I have a lot more stuff than the diesels listed in my sig. :dunno

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
recently found this kit and looks like a reputable source, they only make 10 of these kits at a time and when they sell out they build another 10. spoke with the company and it fits the om616 4cyl(2.4) just have to relocate the oil filter.
these guys have been putting mb diesels in jeeps for years and have expanded to other applications but MB diesels are big for them. if the adapter works well, I plan on getting another for a 3.0 5cyl and putting it in my sport trac:D

http://www.mercedesdiesel4x4.com/product_p/a-mb203.htm
Ooooooooh!! I wish I had known about this company 10 years ago. I had the sick idea cookoo of mating an OM616 to a Toyota 5 speed to put in an '85 2WD pickup. Ended up not doing it; was worried about getting it retitled as a diesel and honestly, didn't really have the resources at the time. This may come in handy for the future, though ;Sweet

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ooooooooh!! I wish I had known about this company 10 years ago. I had the sick idea cookoo of mating an OM616 to a Toyota 5 speed to put in an '85 2WD pickup. Ended up not doing it; was worried about getting it retitled as a diesel and honestly, didn't really have the resources at the time. This may come in handy for the future, though ;Sweet

I don't think they have been making this kit for 10 yrs, its pretty recent availability. only 2yrs or so I think..........

on a happy note, the mrs said I can use her credit card to order the kit as long as I have the free spare cash to pay back her MC account when the bill comes. so next week I will get the kit on the way. showed her pics of the little truck and she said "hhhmmmm" , not a refusal to drive an old ranger or even a comment on the condition. she is a good girl, her first vehicle when we got married was a worn out 86 VW golf 2door 1.6 N/A diesel with almost 500,000km and not even PS. she only complains when if it won't start or she gets stuck. she learned to drive in an AMG 6x6 so she will drive anything I give her keys for :rotflmao

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
going to drive the ranger as it is until winter, was very happy with it when I drove it with the dealer plate from work. tight little truck for its age. no rattles and shakes at all. it will be my summer driver, I have enough junk I can run in the winter so this little thing will last me years and years with a diesel and stick shift.

my dad was giving me a hard time about it just being an old piece of junk, so I took him for a spin..............he had nothing to say until we got home and then he asked if I might know of another one like this. he just turned 79 and is pretty opinionated old fart but he sure did a flipflop on this little truck. LOL

I'll get pics of all of the process with the diesel swap but it won't happen until I need 4wd this winter and it gets parked.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I've been hanging onto my MB diesel and 4spd manual trans for a while watching for the right donor vehicle , almost sold it last weekend but my wife reminded me how excited I was to find the car(drivetrain) in the first place so I hung on.:D

She said what??? KEEPER!!!;Sweet

purchased a 1989 Ranger xlt with only 156,000km on it today and picking up next Friday. it has no power options other than PS and PB weird on an xlt but ok with me . most important was the cab and the frame/chassis, and they are very good. cosmetically it is challenged but definitely a good donor for my powerplant. lots of outer bodywork needed.

I have spent a lot of effort looking for the right donor truck and almost settled on a 96 exp 2wd 2dr 5spd I already have but it only had 4 seatbelts.

I will be removing most of the front sheet metal and gas related parts and simplifying the vehicle under the hood, getting some manual pedals , clutch master etc. purchasing an adapter plate to mount a smallblock Ford bellhousing to the MB diesel. have a solid T5 and smallblock bell for it.

my 240 D car was pulling over 45mpg/37.5mpg US and hope to see similar numbers as the truck should weigh in a little less than the car did. it was a 4spd car also and the OD 5spd should make an improvement?

will take pics to share as soon as I get started, small vehicle fits in my garage so wife will be happy with no yard clutter.....;Sweet

cheers James

pics from the seller

I can't offer too much guidance on the MB conversion, but I did the OEM version. Yup OEM ford ranger diesel: 2.3 turbo diesel mitsubishi (option for 85-87 regular cab only). After the rebuild, its a little closer to 2.4 now.

Our ranger was a 4wd, with pretty high stance due to the rear F150 springs, high rise canopy and roof rack. Still got mid 20s in town and low 30s highway.

You'll be running a 2wd, and if you keep your tires stock, I have do doubt you'll be able to touch 40 MPG in the ideal flat ground 55 MPH range.

And yeah, those adapter plates do look nice. Before starting my project, I was considering a 300TD platform. Bet that would move nice in a 2wd ranger:D. I'd still like to build another someday.

Good luck and keep us posted!;Sweet

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought another Mercedes diesel today. :D

1982 Mercedes 240TD wagon. 4cyl 2.4litre N/A diesel with 4spd auto trans. rusted out and abandoned project, PO figured out it was too rough to fix after he was too far in................................

my Ranger will get the auto trans and this engine, and I will keep my other engine and 4spd manual for parts. has under 250,000km and it started up sharp with a boost after sitting for months , trans was crisp to engage and vacuum shutdown worked flawlessly.

price was right>half his asking price. I think I may have been the only person inquiring about it.:dunno

I don't think the wife will let me unload it off the trailer if I bring it home. might have to keep it at work for now cookoo

I would hate to cut its heart out while it was sleeping quietly on my trailer:rotflmao

was a good sunday!:cheers:

can't believe MB would put a 2.4litre 4cyl diesel and auto trans in this big of a car, must have been the slowest 0-60 on record rated in minutes instead of seconds? ;Sweet

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought another Mercedes diesel today. :D

1982 Mercedes 240TD wagon. 4cyl 2.4litre N/A diesel with 4spd auto trans. rusted out and abandoned project, PO figured out it was too rough to fix after he was too far in................................

my Ranger will get the auto trans and this engine, and I will keep my other engine and 4spd manual for parts. has under 250,000km and it started up sharp with a boost after sitting for months , trans was crisp to engage and vacuum shutdown worked flawlessly.

price was right>half his asking price. I think I may have been the only person inquiring about it.:dunno

I don't think the wife will let me unload it off the trailer if I bring it home. might have to keep it at work for now cookoo

I would hate to cut its heart out while it was sleeping quietly on my trailer:rotflmao

was a good sunday!:cheers:

can't believe MB would put a 2.4litre 4cyl diesel and auto trans in this big of a car, must have been the slowest 0-60 on record rated in minutes instead of seconds? ;Sweet

This project will be awesome but I had to post about the 0-60 time. My idi is the slowest vehicle I've ever drove. It got cursed with a 3.07 Dana 61 rear axle lol

1983 f350 6.9 zf5 2wd srw single cab long bed. Facet duralift, optima red tops, bfg all terrains, 4" exhaust from y pipe back, autometer z series pyro, pump turned up 2 flats

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This project will be awesome but I had to post about the 0-60 time. My idi is the slowest vehicle I've ever drove. It got cursed with a 3.07 Dana 61 rear axle lol

1983 f350 6.9 zf5 2wd srw single cab long bed. Facet duralift, optima red tops, bfg all terrains, 4" exhaust from y pipe back, autometer z series pyro, pump turned up 2 flats

your 83 F350 has a dana61 in it? wow. I've had a few 83/84 F250 4wd and they all had the dana70 rear in them.
with your ZF 5spd you could be running 4.10s or 3.73s . no wonder its slow! must be just about high idle speed at 60 mph in 5th. can you even use 5th gear?

back on topic, I got a manual with this latest MB but its only in German. was imported here in the 90s . I'll look through the manual it might give 0-60 or 0-100km times in it. the German car builders are pretty specific about these things.

picking it up in the morning, I'll take a coupel pics of the haul home.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your 83 F350 has a dana61 in it? wow. I've had a few 83/84 F250 4wd and they all had the dana70 rear in them.
with your ZF 5spd you could be running 4.10s or 3.73s . no wonder its slow! must be just about high idle speed at 60 mph in 5th. can you even use 5th gear?

back on topic, I got a manual with this latest MB but its only in German. was imported here in the 90s . I'll look through the manual it might give 0-60 or 0-100km times in it. the German car builders are pretty specific about these things.

picking it up in the morning, I'll take a coupel pics of the haul home.

Idling in 5th is just over 30mph, 55 its turning 1400rpm lol. And right now I'm building a 3.73 truetrac 10.25 for it :). Have a thread going on here about it

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wagon is at my work and it was supposed to be gone by end of Nov. but no snow yet so I have a few more days>weeks. I'll get at it next week , not much booked in tues/wed. amazing how fast a vehicle can get cut up when the front clip gets sawzalled off :rotflmao

was supposed to do it Friday but promised my 10yr old daughter I would spend the day with her. priorities shift and that is cool when you get to be a dad;Sweet

Last edited: