1st gen cummins swap,what type of intercooler???

79gmccrewcab1t

Reaction score
MY rig for my cummins swap is a 79 gmc. Can anyone tell me what year make and model would make the best doner for the intercooler or would I be better off to order a new one from ebay or something?

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
The only intercooler offered on the 1st Gen trucks was '91.5-'93 models. They are marginal, although a little small. However since you're going into a GMC, you're going to have to measure your room and figure out what (if anything) will work. There's the option of installing electric fans to get rid of the fan clutch and save space for an intercooler. Either way it's going to be a fab-it-yourself project.

odee

Reaction score
I used the 94 and up body style intercooler in my 86 gmc crewcab dually build. I placed the ic where the ac condenser should be, then made a new set of mounts for the condenser which I change out for a 98 model chevy that was set up for 134a. The stock dodge pipes work out also.

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did my 91' and i used a 2001 dodge intercooler and gained about 6 MPG over what the dodge was getting ... Whatever cooler you go with remember that the bigger and more cooling capacity you get the better the efficiency. are you using the dodge tranny as well ...

79gmccrewcab1t

Reaction score
thanks for the info.
No I want a auto that can hold up to what a 12 valve can dish out without dumping a whole bunch of coin into it so I've decided to use the 545 trans that came in the bus and go up on my tire size and gears to compisate for the short top gear and the way under normal low gear that came in the 545

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used the 94 and up body style intercooler in my 86 gmc crewcab dually build. I placed the ic where the ac condenser should be, then made a new set of mounts for the condenser which I change out for a 98 model chevy that was set up for 134a. The stock dodge pipes work out also.

around here....pics are priceless;Sweet;Sweet:D

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
around here....pics are priceless;Sweet;Sweet:D

I plan on putting a P-Type pump engine in mine this summer and i will take lots of pics when i do the upgrade ... Hey Odee ... it sounds like you installed your cooler just like i did ... but i used an A/C condensor from a 94 Peterbuilt in mine and it blows good and cold even in 110 degree weather ... but that is a lot of cab to try to cool with the dash vents alone ... I am going to add a Semi- Truck sleeper A/C / Heater unit under my rear seat later so that it will assist with the cooling and heating of my high cube cab ... its ok in the front seat but when someone is riding in the rear it cant quite keep up back there ... How did you do your A/C compressor .. I left mine on the cummins just like it came ... It was a very tight fit though ...

79gmccrewcab1t ... the earlier dodge Auto trans .. out of say an 88-93 would bolt right to your engine and provide you with the married transfer case unit and have the driveline on the Right side then your front shaft will bolt right in .. only the back one should have to modified ... at least thats the way it worked out on mine with the five speed ... getting the engine in there nice and low w/o adding a body lift is pretty tricky though .. but mine worked out real nice and looks like a factory job
GOOD LUCK

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online