1997 F800 with 5.9L CUMMINS DIESEL. Very low power.??

greenstar

Reaction score
1997 F800 with 5.9L CUMMINS DIESEL with VERY LOW POWER. Trying to sort out this issue bcos the truck will hardly get out of its own way, but it is a very clean truck with 108k miles. I'm not too familiar with this engine though so that's why I need a little help on what i should do. It has a new air filter, and what looks like a fairly new clean white fuel filter from the looks of it up on the driver's side of the engine. A lot of new hoses, and new looking coolant and oil. Truck looks clean. No rot at all. Truck fires right up and idles perfectly, even after not running for 2 months, no smoke.

Is there any other fuel screen, or a second fuel filter I should know of that I should check?
Do u guys think I should check somehow or just replace the primary white one I can see thats mentioned above that was on the truck when I got it (I do not really know how new it is eventhough it looks new and clean.)
Should I be checking fuel pressure or delivery somehow, somewhere?

When I drive, the truck is very very slow and sluggish, cannot get up to any kind of speed, can hardly get down down the road, or sometimes hardly get over 45mph on the highway UNTIL I can kind of feel the turbo kick in, when it seems my foot is just at the perfect position on the pedal or something, i d on't know what it is, and when the turbo boost comes, then it seems to run normally and can move right on down the road. Is there a common problem with any type of turbo actuator?

What could this be?
Any ideas or opinions on what I should do? I am not a very experienced diesel mechanic. I would like to get this truck fixed asap bcos i need to start driving it.

Thanks guys!