1996 F Superduty Won't Stay in Third Gear

Jeremy Barnhart

Reaction score
So this just started the other day on my way home from the market, my truck drover there just fine but when I started for home it acted like it's in limp mode and has a hard time shifting up passed 2nd and when it does make it into 3rd2nd it drops right back into 2nd when I even barely hit the accelerator. Also the transmission has only 500 miles on a rebuild but it's passed the warranty because of time. And there's no codes. Anyone out there have any ideas why this would be happening?

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A little more details would help a lot. What year and model? What model of tranny do you have? Two wheel drive or four wheel drive? I see you live kinda near to Ukiah. I am not a mechanic, just an old fart passing ideas along.

Jeremy Barnhart

Reaction score
It's a 1996 F450 or F-Superduty, 4x4, and it has the E4OD transmission. It has about 87,000 miles on it and it looks like it's spent most of those at slow speed because it has 27,000 hours on it.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might add this information to your signature by going to the Black Line above and clicking your user name and selecting 'signature'. You can add a photo to your User Name.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You will have to do some diagnosing.
With having no codes (scan it anyways) I will give a few starting points.
Clean the ebp tube and sensor.
Look into the map sensor readings.
Also look at tps readings.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Jeremy Barnhart

Reaction score
I cleaned the sensor last weekend. What should I look for as far as readings for the map and tps? I’m a new owner as far as powerstrokes are concerned, I have no experience working on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Tps should have smooth voltage increase.
Map sensor is the boost reading. Same thing there.

Jeremy Barnhart

Reaction score
Thank you. I will try this when I get home tonight. One other question is about the cat, it looks like it's the original. Would that all of the sudden clog up and cause the truck to go into limp mode?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The engine doesn't have a limp mode. It can shut down one whole bank of injectors though. Just not the typical limp mode like a gas engine.
Gut/delete the cat.

Jeremy Barnhart

Reaction score
I took the cat off and it still looks good I guess. I can still see all the way through it like a heavy screen door. I ran out of time to test the sensors. I’ll have to do it tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeremy Barnhart

Reaction score
I'm using the ELM327 OBD2 Scanner USB Scan Tool FORScan OBD2 Adapter with FORScan. It only came up with P0603, which I was told by a mechanic is there because I changed out the batteries.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01