1994 idi f-350 emergency brake will not hold backing my boat at ramp

Wolfer

Reaction score
This may be a stupid question to you but what should I be looking for when I take the drum off and I thought I would do a better job at tightening the star wheel to tighten the brake and put the drum back on to make sure it is lightly rubbing the shoes on the drum and that both shoes are rubbing on the drum on each rear wheel. I have adjusted many brakes on different rigs in the past but doing it thru the backing plate is not the best idea for me.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Doing it that way is fine.... only with new drums or if you have taken the lip off.
Otherwise take the advice of people that have done it, or keep doing it your way.
No skin off our backs.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I typically adjust with the drum off to the point I can just slip the drum on. Then a little more till I can't turn the hub anymore, then back it off till it just turns again.

Ford's cable routing is bad. Too many bends, lots of friction, prone to seizing. I moved them around for a more direct pull. Manually adjust, fresh cables, better routing... night & day difference.
You must be registered for see images attach

Wolfer

Reaction score
I just have a hard time telling if I am turning the star adjuster or slipping off it with the brake tool in the backing plate however they did replace the drums or at least charged me for new ones. I like to see whether the star is getting longer or shorter with most cars some will go both ways. Not trying to be difficult. I did it thru the backing plate yesterday but not sure if I did it right so I will take the drum off this time. am I supposed to see if the cable has slack inside the drum or slipped off the pully part? also am I not supposed to set the e brake pedal if the drum is off?

u2slow slow I like your idea about taking the drumoff and turn the star till the drum will not go on then backing it off. I usually tighten till the drum is hard to turn then back off a notch or two. Thanks to both of you.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I was doing it with the wheel off the ground and spinning it.
If you can spin the adjuster both directions, something is wrong.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Many times the teeth on the adjuster wheel are worn enough it can spin both ways despite the one-way pawl. I replace once all the teeth are worn off and can't get a bite on it with the brake spoon anymore. LOL

Wolfer

Reaction score
the prongs on the wheel are pointed like teeth on a hand saw and not very deep no wonder I thought I might be slipping with the brake tool. I tightened it up a little but I could barely spin the wheels because with the transmission in neutral and the transfer case in neutral as well the driveline still turns with the wheels off the ground on jack stands. I drove it fo about 5 miles and nothing was hot to touch or smelled hot It is working now but still goes almost to the floor. I cannot tell if the shoes are rubbing because I am not able to spin the wheels with one hand and cannot hear the shoes rubbing on the drums but since it is not getting drums hot I probably make it tighter if i need to. In case someone else needs to know if adjusting thru the backing plate insert brake tool and lift tool up so star wheel clicks down to tighten. Thanks guys.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I drove it fo about 5 miles and nothing was hot to touch or smelled hot It is working now but still goes almost to the floor. I cannot tell if the shoes are rubbing because I am not able to spin the wheels with one hand and cannot hear the shoes rubbing on the drums but since it is not getting drums hot I probably make it tighter if i need to. In case someone else needs to know if adjusting thru the backing plate insert brake tool and lift tool up so star wheel clicks down to tighten. Thanks guys.

Try tighter. If you have a posi, you'll have to jack up whole axle (both tires). Also watch to see if the each wheel cable is being pulled equally or not (by the leaf spring hanger).

Wolfer

Reaction score
Yeah both tires are moving the same direction when I turn one wheel when both off the ground so I guess it is posi. I thought the driveline would not turn if both transfer case and transmission were in neutral

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Tcase and transmission really have no control over the driveshaft.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Wolfer

Reaction score
Wow this is a great explanation.Thanks for the video I am going to send it to my son as well. I had a 1971 blazer that had posi traction and a 71 half ton truck that had limited slip and noticed the blazer did not do as well in snow as the truck It was not stuck but had a harder time keeping the posi blazer straight in the snow vs in mud and rocks or sand. I also know that if I forgot to disconnect the front hubs on dry road on this truck it puts the gears into a bind.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online