1994 idi f-350 emergency brake will not hold backing my boat at ramp

Wolfer

Reaction score
I have been told there is no adjustment for emergency brake but I have new brake job and e-brake pedal goes to the floor and brakes barely hold the boat at the ramp. I cannot get out and drop the boat for fear the truck and trailer will roll into the bay. Do I need a new brake cable set up or can I adjust the rear brakes tighter? Les schwab tire store who did the brake job said the cable has stretched.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I would start with adjusting the rear brakes.
Then look at the ratchet mechanism is the parking brake pedal. Next would be cables. I know they "can" stretch. But I haven't had a noticeably stretched cable that I've seen yet.
These brake setups don't actually hold well in reverse. Now that's not to say that it won't hold your boat, because setup right, it will.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Wolfer

Reaction score
Thanks Jasper. Right after the brake job the park brake pedal went down almost to the floor but did hold but now it will not hold enough to trust it and the foot pedal for the park brake goes all the way to the floor. Only been about 1,000 miles since brake job.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jasper. Right after the brake job the park brake pedal went down almost to the floor but did hold but now it will not hold enough to trust it and the foot pedal for the park brake goes all the way to the floor. Only been about 1,000 miles since brake job.
rear brakes are not adjusted right.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yep, readjust them manually.
I was too the point of doing mine about every other week if I wanted it kept tight. I could push a month.

Wolfer

Reaction score
Thanks I will try that tomorrow. I have a brake spoon I cannot believe there is no manual adjustment other than brake shoes. I feel like I would be better taking the front cable loose and tieing it in a knot then installing it back in the foot pedal assy. Or find a cable shorter. I know if the pedal did not bottom out it would get tighter.

Wolfer

Reaction score
Thanks I will try that tomorrow. I have a brake spoon I cannot believe there is no manual adjustment other than brake shoes. I feel like I would be better taking the front cable loose and tieing it in a knot then installing it back in the foot pedal assy. Or find a cable shorter. I know if the pedal did not bottom out it would get tighter.

Wolfer

Reaction score
I tried backing up and slamming on brakes but did not work. If I can adjust thru the backing plate side does the star wheel go up to tighten or down? If I have to take the drum off do I have to pull the axles to get tuo the star adjuster? I looked at the cables and the two back cables were pulling even but first time I saw a cable system that had all 3 cables on the outside of the frame rail on the drivers side. and is there any adjustment with the foot pedal on the floor? I think the front cable could be an inch or two shorter there is no adjusting nut where the 3 cables come together.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Tying a knot would technically weaken the cable.
There is somewhat of a adjustment in the pedal. But its automatic. Search "ratcheting parking brake." Should give you some results.

Wolfer

Reaction score
I adjusted rear brakes today emergency brake cable was super tight still will not hold my boat. makes me think new shoes are still not engaging drums enough. My boat is a 20' aluminum weighing about 2,000# held ok before brake job but still went to floor on e-brake pedal.I cannot tell if ratcheting pedal has a wedge in it or if it would even help. I could add a couple lead crimps to the front cable to shorten the throw but not sure it would help maybe it would get the pedal off the floor but might break the cable.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Also look to see if it's routed correctly. The front cable should clip into the front cab mount.
I would pull the drums and take a look.

Wolfer

Reaction score
I see the cable is snapped into the floor before it goes into the racheting pedal. Do I have to pull the axles to get to the cable inside the drum?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
E Moeller