1994 CCLB 7.3 IDI Factory Turbo E4OD transmission codes?

Old Red Wagon

Reaction score
HELP!! I recently purchased this truck because it has the famous 7.3, no computer, no rust, and VERY recently rebuilt trans, and only 200K miles on it.

About a month and a half after buying it, I hooked up my 9K lb travel trailer and headed north for a 550 mile trek to our favorite vacation spot. Less than 60 miles into the trip, all of the Magic Smoke came out of the transmission, along with a smelly waterfall from the inspection cover.

A very good friend picked up a similar transmission out of a 1998 bus and I brought it home and installed it after installing new seals and a Transgo E4OD-HD2 shift kit. The truck runs great now, but it only has ONE GEAR, which I assume is 3rd. I called Transgo and they told me to disconnect the solenoid pack and see what happens. When I did, it became a 2-speed trans!! (Better than one!!) I called back and the Tech told me to count the flashes on the OD light, but I have no flashes. It only turns on and off via the button.

Now what???

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m no expert on the minute differences on the powerstroke trans, but the solenoid pack should swap from your cooked trans, I don’t think the 98 will have the same mlps sensor for the trans to know what gear is selected, your engine is an idi and not a powerstroke correct? 94 had 3 different 7.3s.

Old Red Wagon

Reaction score
It’s pretty obvious that I’m no expert either. My engine is an IDI with factory turbo. I thought my solenoid pack would be in worse shape than the “new trans”, so I installed it all as a package. My thought was that “if the connectors are the same..”

Did I mention that I do NOT get paid to think?

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Pulse width modulation. Thanks! That would make sense. It would be “speaking a different language” than the truck.

It will do more than speak a different language. A PWM pack will send the TCM to an early grave.

Use any pre 95 solenoid pack. New, rebuilt, what ever. It has to be pre 95. Otherwise it will not work.

Old Red Wagon

Reaction score
UPDATE:

I bought a new FIPL in hopes that it would be the solution to all of my issues. Unfortunately, it has proven to create more problems. I've tried everything that I can think of, but i can NOT get 1.2VDC at idle AND 4.0VDC at WOT. What am I doing wrong?