1994 1500 Ram 3.9L V6

turbonator

gm diesel guys, AKA turbonator
Reaction score
Hi guys, friend of ours bought this truck, and has had problems with it continually......

We rebuilt the heads, (had 2 burnt valves), changed the cam and timing chain, oxygen sensor, changed in a used distributor with different pick up coil....

This motor always seems to run a little rich, seems good for a while then starts to pop and fart....

The cat has been removed, and no restriction in the muffler.....

The fuel tank was dropped and in tank filters removed, with inline filter instead. The fuel pressure is 38psi after inline filter.....

When running, can remove plug wires and each one shows up as a miss.....

The same when injectors are individually disconnected, each one shows up as miss.....

Have gotten a variety of codes, now the code is a/c clutch, there is no a/c on this truck...... beginning to think this truck was built to be a bad joke for me......

Hoping someone here will have solution (other than torching it) or good advise..... thanks in advance. :dunno

supachaged

Full Access Member
Reaction score
which o2 sensor was replaced?i have run into this before, its possibly a "lazy" o2 sensor. if you have access to a drbIII or similar scan tool, you should be able to watch the sensors. its usually the upstream.i know you said you replaced the dist. but check for shaft play,common problem,. have you checked the flexplate, they like to crack and that causes problems with crank sensor input.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
+1 on the dist bushing - there is a brass bushing that the bottom part of shaft (it's a two piece shaft) of the distributor slide through and they wear and when they do the timing starts jumping all over the place. They are a pain to get at because they are sunk down in the block but a bend over piece of metal used like a slide hammer and pull it out. They are cheap or they used to be....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Staff online