1993 7.3 idi knock or ping happening

7IdIguy3

Reaction score
Hello this is my first post on here and I’m hoping someone will be able to help me out. I have this knock that appeared when the timing gear housing seal was replaced and the pump gear was advanced by one tooth. After a long tedious task of getting the front of the motor removed to see the timing gears showed my timing was off. I reset the timing to top dead center aligned the pump gear to the cam gear Y to Y and put it all back together. The truck starts up and runs really good but when you give it fuel it has Delayed knock or ping I’ll try and add a video of the sound but I’m not sure what it could be. All injectors have been replaced too. Thanks for taking the time to read my troubles

7IdIguy3

Reaction score
They are remanned injectors from autozone (echlin) or something like that I believe is the brand

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm new to these engines also, so I don't claim to know what the issue with yours is, but I've learned a lot from this forum.
This is what came to mind when I read your post.

Lots of good info. in the IDI Tech. Article section.
Read up on the pump timing as well.

My engine also has a clatter. Not when idling but as soon as I get the truck moving. It goes away when I'm coasting. It also smokes grey/white heavily until it's fully warmed up (10 min. +/-). Then runs clean (almost no smoke). I'm thinking maybe an injector (or more?) is stuck until it comes up to temperature. And then maybe it's loud due to being out of spec.? causing the "knock".
I bought a timing meter but I decided that since I don't know where my injectors came from, or their condition, that I wouldn't bother setting the timing until I knew the injectors were all good.
So I recently bit the bullet and ordered new ones from one of the recommended rebuilders here.

Last edited:

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suppose you're not excited to replace the injectors you just bought so an alternative might be to get them pop tested. I guess there's a chance that they may be usable. But from what I've read here they are not to be trusted.
We'd hate to see you chasing your tail while assuming your new injectors are doing their job properly.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also,
Welcome to the forum. There's a ton of smart folks in here (myself not included).
It's a good idea to list your truck specs. and any mods. in your signature for best replies.

7IdIguy3

Reaction score
Okay I’ll start there and try not to chase my tail, I’m hoping it is an injector problem because it runs and idles really good but just on fuel acceleration it will ping or knock top end it sounds and I can’t tell what side because it seems all over so injectors will be gone through again and if nothing works then I suppose I check my push rods next? Not sure because it’s not a consistent sound

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might start by adjusting your timing. It won't cost you anything but your labor to advance it or retard it.
Just don't do it with the engine running and don't move it much more than the thickness of a dime or 2 at a time.
Ideally you need to use a meter to set it properly but you can experiment without one to see if advancing or retarding makes an improvement.
But if your injectors are junk then you might be chasing your tail.

Last edited:

7IdIguy3

Reaction score
I’ve played with the timing on the pump (truck off) I retarded it seeing if maybe too much fuel advance was happening but still was there and now it’s re advanced to the marks but I will need to get a meter to get it set right

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It can get that knocking rattle if the timing is set too advanced. When you go full fuel, the cam on the throttle shaft advances the timing even more. Next step is set the timing with a meter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online