1993 7.3 IDI Diesel With New Injectors runs rough and smokes

Davidsfarm

Reaction score
I make youtube videos on my truck and I like to post the link here about it we don't know anything about this truck it has a new mechanical fuel pump, reman injectors after i had a friend install them now it won't run right smokes blue smoke missing and wants to stall no fuel leaks one bad glow plug just put a brand new starter and battery cables we can't figure it out i open each injector when it was running to see if that was an issue it ran a bit better on 4 of them i open up. would the injectors be putting to much fuel in the truck causing it to smoke and not run good when u rev it to 2 grand it smokes very bad and sounds like its out of time i check the timing marks on the top of the injection pump and they are lined up so we are tight with money was hoping we could fix it ourselves got any ideas? Thank you.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
after i got it bleed the whole system before it was so hard to get the fuel to the injection pump it we thought we burn the starter up all the priming and bleeding the lines.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably needs to be timed. The marks on the pump and housing are really just reference to get a starting point. You could try moving it a dimes width towards the passenger side and see if that helps. Lots of videos on YouTube if you need.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I concur, and add
Fleabay remans are junk!
If russ\justin??? did them yer ok.

Oh and punctuation....
!.,;:

Joseph Davis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To Much Fuel? Bad (injector pump IP)? Try to lean her out by adjusting (IP) screw. When I got mine running someone turned the IP screw to many turns in and had white smoke when she started like yours. So I filled Injector pump with Marvel Mystery Oil over night and turned the IP screw to lean out till the white smoke was gone. now the truck runs great and I ended up advancing the pump about 3/4 of an inch from the marks. Now I just get a little black smoke when I put it to the floor on up hill climes and she pull a full load like a dream. I also ran a compression check on mine and ended up having low compression on one cylinder but after driving her for a month the compression is good now. I also put Marvel Mystery Oil and Valve Medic in Engine Oil and compression came back. So Good Luck

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you just replaced the injectors, it's extremely retarded. The IP and injectors wear together - using new injectors on a worn out IP means it has to work harder to inject that fuel, which means it injects later.

I'd get a new IP if you can, from a reputable source. If not, you will have to drastically advance the timing, probably by 'skipping a gear tooth' or two. This is kind of something you don't want to do, but in a pinch can be done.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'd also say that your truck is running with retarded timing due to only replacing the injectors. I'm sure that the timing needs to be advanced more than a dime's width. I'd try to advance it where the gears are at now instead of trying to skip teeth first. To me, that's not even an option, but may be ok for others to try.

Davidsfarm

Reaction score
Ok I try the timing first and see from there it could be a lot of things. I do know that with new injectors the IP should be replaced but since its a farm truck its not going like on long trips so if it don' run a 100% its fine short on money just want it to run like it did when we took it there. where can i get some special tools to do this timing with the pump because i need one for the ip bolts they are so hard to get at seen some on youtube where they just make there own but i could do that to. it has good compression been tested. and i don't want to mess it up to much where get it out of time to much then i wont start at all be bad to.

Davidsfarm

Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
. this is the problem we have after it sits all winter it leaked back down but since i put a new mechail fuel pump on it seem to start right away sits for a few weeks so the other one was the original since new. i know we were tough on this new starter but it was so hard for the fuel to get to the pump and once we got it there we kept on it. but thats how it always starts since that guy put new injectors in and he claim never touched the pump.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hit the timing registry
Most... Of these guys will have a clue whats up.
Time it round 9*
See what she does

Another thing.
Pop test the sticks?!

1995voyagerES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I take it you're a Dave's farm fan? Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

His Dads name is David. I think i picked that up from one of his videos. His farm has nothing to do with the 'ol "Davidsfarm" but I guess we all saw videos of him and got inspired by some of them...sadly it all went down the hill.

BTW: now you know that Im here too Tyler ;)

Davidsfarm

Reaction score
no not a davidsfarm fan. My dad's name is David and we farm so thats what i had. And yes 1995voyagerEs thank you for telling me about this site. helped me a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online