1993 6.9 IDI Compound Turbo ZF5 Manual Bricknose Bronco Build

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is solid advice. If you are really planning on compound turbos and high boost, and you are going to go through your 6.9, you should have the machine work done to the block to accept the larger studs that the 7.3 came with.

Has anyone ever successfully done that? I know you can't just drill and tap (something about the 7/16 Major diameter being larger than the minor diameter of the larger studs) so I'm assuming that would require either helicoils or threaded inserts.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe R&D put the larger studs in a 6.9, it's definitely an involved process requiring machining not just drilling and tapping. Perhaps somebody else with the history will chime in.

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct you cannot put 1/2 studs in a 6.9 there is not enough meat.
There has been talk about going to 9/16 studs but no one has yet successfully done that.
A studded 6.9 is limited to 15 psi boost safely 20psi if you want to risk it.

Why compounds over a used turbo kit that can be picked up for less than a grand?

Sent from my SM-A015V using Tapatalk

Ace Perkes

Reaction score
I'm glad to see that you're planning to install head studs. They will help, for sure. I believe that the general rule of thumb is about 15 PSI max boost for a studded 6.9. You could possibly run up to 20 PSI, but I won't guarantee that. The 6.9's 7/16" head bolts/studs don't hold as well as the 7.3's 1/2" ones do. When you run too much boost for too long, you'll usually end up lifting a head and then there goes your head gasket.

Yeah, I agree with everything you said that’s what I was planning to play with for awhile. Then add a R&D camshaft, injection pump, etc. as much as my wallet can allow. And go that direction to add horsepower, not more boost just to keep it reliable.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree with everything you said that’s what I was planning to play with for awhile. Then add a R&D camshaft, injection pump, etc. as much as my wallet can allow. And go that direction to add horsepower, not more boost just to keep it reliable.
Good. I was hoping that you weren't one of the people who just want to get as much boost as possible out of an engine. Since I have no idea what those turbos you mentioned are or what they do boostwise, I was trying to caution you.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I believe R&D put the larger studs in a 6.9, it's definitely an involved process requiring machining not just drilling and tapping. Perhaps somebody else with the history will chime in.
If anybody has done this, it would be Justin. Generally, it can't be done. Of course if you did, you would have to enlarge the head bolt holes in your heads or find some 7.3 heads.

Ace Perkes

Reaction score
So here’s what I got done today.
You must be registered for see images attach

Ace Perkes

Reaction score
If anybody has done this, it would be Justin. Generally, it can't be done. Of course if you did, you would have to enlarge the head bolt holes in your heads or find some 7.3 heads.

I will have to ask my uncle if he can do that at the machine shop he manages. It is an oilfield machine shop though.

Ace Perkes

Reaction score
So close, but so so far away.

(motor on tire in the background)

Ace Perkes

Reaction score

Ace Perkes

Reaction score
Good. I was hoping that you weren't one of the people who just want to get as much boost as possible out of an engine. Since I have no idea what those turbos you mentioned are or what they do boostwise, I was trying to caution you.
They are off of the 6.5 90s Chevy diesels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ace Perkes

Reaction score
Correct you cannot put 1/2 studs in a 6.9 there is not enough meat.
There has been talk about going to 9/16 studs but no one has yet successfully done that.
A studded 6.9 is limited to 15 psi boost safely 20psi if you want to risk it.

Why compounds over a used turbo kit that can be picked up for less than a grand?

Sent from my SM-A015V using Tapatalk
The turbos were free. So I figured I didn’t need a lot of boost so why not just have them compound to spool quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online