1992 rear axle

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tomorrow, I am going to take my rear axle apart as far as I can without any special tools. Just the driver's side.

I want to have a look at what I am dealing with, before I begin to gather parts.

And that is also the reason for this thread. I need advice.

I believe it is a 10.25 rear end. Not positive. Where do I look for that info?

I believe this is "full floating", but I am not sure.

I believe full floating will mean it uses the gear lube for the axle bearings, and not grease on those.

And I need to know the correct socket for the spindle nut.

Can anyone help with that info?

As I said, tomorrow I will be under there with it. So I can look for tags, numbers, etc. And I will have it as far apart as I can, so I will know whether I am able to just pull the axle out, or whether it has a clip inside the diff.

Last, can anyone direct me to a parts diagram, and some way to figure out part numbers for the bearings and seals?

tradergem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes there is a ID tag on the differential cover. Also the tag on the door frame should give a axle code that you can look up.

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can help you a little,
is it from one of your F-250's?
beeing it a 10.25 it's definitive a full floater, be sure to get one of those special nut sockets, It's too difficult to get the axle open without one, and no you have no clip in the diff.to undo.
It can be possible that you have a limited slip differential, in that case you need to use special oil for the limited slip part. and you might have a "camwheel" (sorry, don't know the correct name) for RABS, if you go there make sure it's clean (nothing in the indents.)

Often wheel bearings (when they need to be replaced) are greased, because when they were installed dry, the oil took too long before reaching them bearings, and you don't want them to run dry.
therefore it often looks like nothing when you open the axle and see that "mess", but better that greasy "mess" then nothing at all.

good luck.

Last edited:

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like I am out of luck on the tag. Way too rusted to read. I'm about to go take it off, and see if maybe it is embossed instead of printed. If so, I may be able to just clean it up.
You must be registered for see images attach

Here is the door tag. I think all I can get from that is that it is the ford spicer 10.25...

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if Ford ever made a semi-float 10.25 or not. The way you can tell if you have the HD full floating rearend is look at the center of the rear wheels. If it's flat, you have a semi-float rearend that is the lighter duty style on the regular f250. If you have this large black piece sticking out of the center, with a bunch of smaller bolts around in a circle, that is the full floater version found on the f250HD.

If it was originally a diesel truck, they all got the full float and were all f250HD. But things get changed through the years

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If there's an advance auto near you, their rental/loaner kit has the socket you need I believe. I bought one for my shop. If you need me to go measure it for you just let me know.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As for the bearings, I've heard some people recommend greasing them so they're not dry on installation, other people soak them in oil, and others just jack up the opposite side of the axle after installation so the oil will go into the hub.

Seems to be up to personal choice. I've tried both ways, didn't seem to make any noticable difference.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a full floater. I figured that one out last night. :) For the 92, I believe only the 150s had the clip. The 250s and 350s all had full float.

And yes, would be the HD

I'm pretty sure I have 3.55 gears. (3.54??) Because I am only doing ~ 1300 to 1700 rpm at 65MPH. (The 89 is doing ~ 3000 - 3600 rpm at that speed.) But I am going to jack it up in a bit, mark the tire and driveshaft, and start spinning, to see if I can make a good guess. LOL

EDIT: It's 3.55 That tag was embossed. So a little fine sandpaper brought the numbers and letters right out of the rust...

In case you can't read it, it says:
2 S124D
3.55 10 2 2G24

I don't have any idea what that first "2" is. Tube size, maybe?

"S" is for sterling.

124 is the model number.

And "D" is the revision code.

3.55 is the gears, of course. Not a limited slip.

10 is the ring gear size.

No idea what the "2" in the middle there is. (Unless the ring gear is 10.2 ???)

2 is the year (1992)

G is the month. (July)

24 is the day.

Ok, so no need to jack it up, mark the tire and driveshaft, and count spins!!!

I also know it is 3" brakes, not 2-1/2".

Next up, I will take some of it apart, on the uphill side of the truck, to see if I can get a good guess at parts and tools needed.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just going to go with a light coating of synthetic grease on the bearings. Not going to actually pack them.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The axle nut should be the ratcheting type that takes the 4 prong socket. You push in with the socket to release the locking mechanism. Also I believe the driver side is left hand threads. Here’s a shot of the “by the book” instructions. It’s fairly vague on a few things.

Also, if you’re replacing the seal, do yourself a favor and go with the SKF Scotseal xl plus. Also the O-Rings for the axle shaft are cheap. Replace them too.

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Looks like a 3.55 geared non limited slip 10.25. the "10 2" means its a 10.25"

If it was 3L55 I believe that would indicate limited slip. I have also read that the VIN has an axle code in it, in which a "C5" in the vin would also denote limited slip

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like a 3.55 geared non limited slip 10.25. the "10 2" means its a 10.25"

If it was 3L55 I believe that would indicate limited slip. I have also read that the VIN has an axle code in it, in which a "C5" in the vin would also denote limited slip
You are correct. I have C5 on the door and 3L55 on pumkin.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Not sure if Ford ever made a semi-float 10.25 or not.

Sure did. 8-lug found in 5.0L and 4.9L F250s. A 7-lug appeared too... those 97+ 'new' style F150/F250 trucks with the 7700# GVWR. After a few years it was phased out and the smaller 9.75" carried on.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure did. 8-lug found in 5.0L and 4.9L F250s

Yep. I found one in an old county truck of all things. You'd think they'd want it a little heavier knowing it's going to get beat on like a red-headed step child LOL

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Yep. I found one in an old county truck of all things. You'd think they'd want it a little heavier knowing it's going to get beat on like a red-headed step child LOL
My 94 F350 Crew had a semifloat axle in it when I got it. Ran it for years towing whatever. When I pulled it apart the bearings showed some wear but I never had a problem with it. I am sure someone swapped it in before I got it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsthomas21

Members online