1992 E350 7.3 newbie trans questions

Markm88

Reaction score
Hey all, I am a newbie to the Ford stuff, today I just picked up a 1992 e350 cube van with the 7.3 for a steal. It didn’t come with a transmission installed, as the previous one had failed. He had removed and taken the old trans to a trans shop for repair but the guy decided to just buy a used one- which was included, but he said it’s the wrong trans, and something about that it was a half year and some of the sensors were different? Again.. new here.
My question is, what transmission should I source out? I have done some reading and determined it should be an E4OD.. is there in fact something different between them all? I know I need to find a diesel specific 2wd, but was there different ones? Much appreciated!

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
They were called an E4OD. Yes there are differences between the electronics of various years. I don't believe that each year was separate. I think that there was two sets of electronics (I'm not up on the E4ODs and I may be wrong), I believe there was an early and then a later set up. I also believe that if you had the electronics out of the bad transmission, you could put all of that in the "wrong" transmission.

Markm88

Reaction score
Thanks, yes that was a typo on my part- will edit. Unfortunately that’s my problem , I don’t have the original trans to compare too as the guy had the trans shop scrap it. Being new to these I’m trying to chase down what should be in the truck. Would a vin number confirm anything? Thanks for the reply

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have two other possibilities as to how it’s not the right transmission.
First, I believe there were two different bell housing sizes. One was for the 460 and the 7.3, the other was for the small blocks and the 6cyl. That would be easy enough to figure out with a tape measure.
Second, you said it’s a cube van. I’m not sure when, but at some point Ford put the parking brake on the output of the transmission for the cut away vans, just like the F-Superduty. That shouldn’t change the way it bolts to the engine, but it may not line up with the transmission cross member, and the drive shaft would be completely wrong.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to figure out what transmission you have. 89 is a one year. From there 90-91, 92-94,95-98, with 96 being another odd year. You should be able to use the one you have if it’s diesel by putting in correct solinoid pack.

Markm88

Reaction score
The trans is the right bell housing, I made sure I verified that. I’m pretty sure the parking brake is not off the trans as I set the parking brake when I loaded it, and it held… kinda.. so I thought I’d check the cross member.. but realized that it was forgotten when I picked it up so I will have to contact the guy and see if it’s still there.. it sounds likely that maybe the trans I have is a newer one.
The van is stamped 06/92 on the door sticker, and is also registered as a 92. So from what I’m understanding is as long as I find one from a 92-94, they should be the same? And assuming I could use one from an f series too? My hope is to just drop a trans in and have it mobile enough, as it is now at a buddy’s temporarily.
Thanks for the help!

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They have a tech line to call and make sure you have the right one. Give them part # for your trans on the sticker. Should be able to get you going for not a lot of money.

Markm88

Reaction score
Thanks pastorjeep, I’m assuming that this just converts it from the other styles?Wiring/all parts is all there, just missing the (correct) trans. The price doesn’t seem terrible, but for me the us $ conversion to Canadian $ hurts.. bad… My hope is I can find a direct bolt in trans for the same amount of money, but good to know that this option is there if needed. Thanks!

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe a call to that company to educate yourself of what year model truck/van you can use. According to their website it seems late 89/90-94. That might make the junk yard scrounging a bit easier. But I am just going off what I read.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you stay in 92 year for solinoid you’ll be ok with the E4od you have. Look at the solinoid plug, is it the same as the plug on the van?

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Any diesel two wheel drive E4OD from 89-94 will work. The only catch is the manual lever might have to be swapped out. 89-91 are the rod type linkage.92 on are cable driven.

Doc Niver

Reaction score
e4od up to 93 will work.
Some 94s will work but it has to have a machined gear on the output shaft.
If it has a removable plug on the tail shaft pull it and see if it has the gear.
The 94 without it won't work because the speed sensor is part of what tells the trans when to shift and it's on the speedo cable fits into it on the trans.
The 94 gets the signal from the abs sensor on the rear end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
93 Farm Truck

Members online