1990 FSD IDI to 12v cummins

HoseyEXCV

Reaction score
As title states I have a 95 f800 thats pretty well rotted out from snow removal and i wanna throw the drivetrain into my newly purchased F-Super Duty.

Build truck: 1990 FSD reg cab with IDI and E4OD. Currently 5.13 rears, 44k original miles.

Doner rig: 1995 F800 6bt with Eaton FS5205b 5 speed. Just wanting to swap in engine, trans, and clutch pedals.

Looking for anyone here who has run that conversion with relative ease. Meaning install wasn't a pain. My one question really is has anyone run that non-OD trans with a Dana 80 say around 3.54/3.31 and still be alright pulling. Building truck to pull 10k excavator and track loader. As well function as dump truck, ripping old 12' dump flat bed off for new super city 9 footer.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Pedals won't work. Firewalls are very different between the med duty cabs and pickups.

Lots of fab work required to mount that setup in. Your best bet would be to either sell off the trans and run a ford or dodge manual behind it with the correct adapter. Your superduty has parking brake on the back of trans, another issue you will run into.

As for the rear, never knew they sold gearsets that low for them.

HoseyEXCV

Reaction score
I was pretty surprised myself with the axle ratio. Door tag says 73 which means 5.13 i guess. I was always under the impression that the actual cab was the same in the f-series, just the hoods were different.

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score
Nope. Some of it is the same. Firewall is entirely different. Steering column goes through it at a different place.

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score
And I knew superduty had 488 or 5.13 gears. Didn't know you could get the lower gear ratio sets like you listed

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I knew superduty had 488 or 5.13 gears. Didn't know you could get the lower gear ratio sets like you listed

87-97 f-super duty gear ratios:
axle code 72 = 4.63
axle code 73 = 5.13 (most common and what log truck has)
axle code G3 = 4.30LS (rare)

;Sweet

HoseyEXCV

Reaction score
O yeh i saw that yukon sells 3.31 or 3.54s. I still think im pretty well determined to have a heavier trans in place. I had a old 1 ton Ram with a 12v and it ate up nv4500s and it was mildly turned up.

HoseyEXCV

Reaction score
I am now thinking about just throwing a ATS turbo kit and get the fuel system right. The truck will be towing 10k max, i just hope the e4 holds up for awhile.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I have a slightly different set up. I am running a DT360 with a medium duty spicer 5 speed non overdrive transmission. I have 3.55 gears with 265 75 16 tires and I can do about 70 max on the highway. It cruises realistically about 55 to 60.

I like having a medium duty transmission but not having an overdrive sucks. It's a snug fit with the sae2 bellhousing but it will fit.

You can look into making the 5306 an overdrive. It is very similar to a FSO 6406. You would need at least 4 different gears and a FSO top cover though.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

HoseyEXCV

Reaction score
Yeh thats kinda why im thinking of holding off on the 12v swap cause of the cost of another trans. Also the fab work isnt a issue except for how long it would take to get it all in. I run a small excavation company and kinda need the truck to work within the next month or so.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online