1990 ford f250 10.25 with new 2007 aluminum rear cover. Help

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys I bought Lucas synthetic 75/90 gear oil to change out my fluid in my rear end since Im trying to get every thing fresh so it makes me feel better. I saw on eBay they had for around $60 shipped for a 2007-2011 rear end plate. Shows it works on 10.25 and 10.5 single wheels back till I think 83 or so. I liked the look and figured it would help cool with it being aluminum and having fins. I just got out there and started to get to swapping it out and I realized when I took first bolt out they would not be long enough. Do any of yall know the size of the bolt or thread size and how long the factory ones are? I didn't measure mine while I had it out and need about 1/4 or so longer! Any of yall done this swap on the 10.25?

here is the cover! http://www.ebay.com/itm/190791509160?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

here is the fluid and I think a good price also! http://www.ebay.com/itm/271416702683?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Bashby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably 5/16"-18, just take one of the old ones with you to get the new ones. In my area, tractor supply stores sell grade 8 bolts by the pound, much cheaper than most.

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got her done today finally! Just curious how many people have changed there rear end oil? Every place I have come to on internet showed a hair over 4 quarts so I ordered 5. I could only get around 3 and half or so before it starting running out of the front fill plug. Did I do something wrong??

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
i did same thing. nothing wrong full is full. drive for day and recheck. btw, fix your exhaust hanger

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a tech article on this. I think they mentioned the bolt length. Thinking about 1 myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The previous owner added a 3.5 exhaust and the hanger broke and they left it. I need to trim off the original one.

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did notice one thing but forgot earlier to ask. There is a plug on top of rear end and it was unhooked. Is it for speed or rpm? I did notice a ring inside that im not sure of and am assuming its got something to do with it. Nothing was not working in truck but I dont have a tach in the dash. any ideas??

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only a real problem if
1. you want rear antilock brakes.
2. you live in an inspection state and if the light is on it fails
3. you don't care about rear abs and you cant figure out how to get to the light bulb in the dash to remove it so there is no warning light on.

;Sweet