Must have air in pump? Idk
New to diesel, but been machanic for a while
Any suggestions would be awesome
Thanks in advance

Cableguy1169

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my experience if the return system isn’t working right they just straight up will never run others say it’s not as important so I would double check that.

BenP38

Reaction score
I had a return line pop off once with my 7.3 IDI. I think it somehow drained away a lot of the fuel maybe? Anyway I could not get it to go at all, not even with starting fluid. I was on the verge of replacing the pump, but decided to give it one more go before I took it off. It fired up and has been working ever since. So not sure exactly what happened; the only thing I could think of was that it lost a lot of prime. Not sure that helps much, but there is a "data point" from my experience anyway.

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had my entire truck NO fuel entire system 100% drained including all of the everything and it fired on two short cranks but other times it won’t run at all if you pop even one return line

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Can get fuel to IP
Verified it..
Are you getting fuel out of it? I don't mean at the injectors, I mean right out of the pump. Take one of the upper, easiest to get at lines off of the back of the pump and see if any fuel comes out while the engine is being cranked over.

Snowgap

Reaction score
Like I just ran into with mine, had a strong audible click from the FSS but was getting no fuel delivered to the injectors (loosened the line nuts and no fuel was coming out). Great pressure to the pump, nothing out of the pump. I replaced this whole top cap from a parts pump and it fired right up. Maybe I should have just tapped the top housing with a hammer to free up the solenoid or something...

Attachments

• 20220607_154853.jpg
    20220607_154853.jpg
    359.7 KB · Views: 13

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Like I just ran into with mine, had a strong audible click from the FSS but was getting no fuel delivered to the injectors (loosened the line nuts and no fuel was coming out). Great pressure to the pump, nothing out of the pump. I replaced this whole top cap from a parts pump and it fired right up. Maybe I should have just tapped the top housing with a hammer to free up the solenoid or something...
It happens sometimes.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The mechanical fuel pump is what I would check first. Remove fuel line at filter head, wrap a dry rag around the end of hard line and crank engine for couple seconds. If the rag is wet, pump is good, therefore problem is in injection pump.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The mechanical fuel pump is what I would check first. Remove fuel line at filter head, wrap a dry rag around the end of hard line and crank engine for couple seconds. If the rag is wet, pump is good, therefore problem is in injection pump.
The OP mentioned that he can get fuel to the IP.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, must've missed that. Solenoid is next.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's the solenoid on top of the IP. It's clicking to toy with your emotions. It's the Piper demanding payment for being a good truck.

Last edited:

danda

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen... fuel out of the filter housing,but not out of the IP. This was after sitting for a couple years. The FSS would click fine, but still no fuel.

I took the top cover off the IP and wiggled things around a bit. After that I replaced cover, cranked and observed fuel at the cracked injector nuts so I tightened them and it started up. Happened once more a day or two later... I repeated the "procedure", and really worked the little spring mechanism on the passenger side, which is bathed in diesel. After that it started up, and hasn't occurred again in a few weeks.

cableguy1169

Reaction score
Took off return fuel line fitting off top of pump too see if fuel is in there
There is…
Starting to think it could b FSS
Gonna try the ole tappy tap with baby hammer to see if anythin free’s up
Other than that its gotta be the IP
No?

cableguy1169

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen... fuel out of the filter housing,but not out of the IP. This was after sitting for a couple years. The FSS would click fine, but still no fuel.

I took the top cover off the IP and wiggled things around a bit. After that I replaced cover, cranked and observed fuel at the cracked injector nuts so I tightened them and it started up. Happened once more a day or two later... I repeated the "procedure", and really worked the little spring mechanism on the passenger side, which is bathed in diesel. After that it started up, and hasn't occurred again in a few weeks.
I want to try that , but worried about the wide open throttle…
Any advice?

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online