1990 D350 Wheel upgrade?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i would bet the late stuff should bolt up.
i bought a set of dualies with a 17" dia and had to mod the centers a little to fit my ford.

TexasGunmetal

Diesel & Gun Smoke!
Reaction score
Whats the bolt pattern on the first gen trucks, 8x6.5?
Does anyone know any specific wheels I can buy cheap to upgrade from the stock 16" wheels?
Keep in mind it's a dually.

Thanks

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Why replace. You can upgrade to a set of chrome or stainless simulators for about $150. Or you can do like I did and paint them your choice of colors.

You must be registered for see images attach

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Cheap and aftermarket dually rims don't go in the same sentence.

If you don't like the tall sidewalls then get a shorter sidewall tire. for example...

265/85-16 is taller than a 265/75-16

If you already know this then I apologize, if not here is something to play with...

the 265 in above example is the tread width.

the 85 and 75 are the sidewall height. It's expressed in a percentage as in 85% of 265mm is 225mm vs 75% of the same width is only 198mm tall.

TexasGunmetal

Diesel & Gun Smoke!
Reaction score
You can't lower the profile of the tire without going up in wheel size, the over-all diameter would be smaller if you did that. The speedometer would read too fast and it would make the truck lower to the ground.
Stock tire size is 235/85R16
Newer trucks have 17's, is anyone running 17's off a newer truck?

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Stock dually tire size is 215/85R16 on my 2wd and I think they look fine. I could go with 235's but I think they would look too goofy. Oh and the 215s are cheaper. GM-Ford-Dodge all use(d) 16" dually wheels except for the newer trucks which have stepped to 17.

TexasGunmetal

Diesel & Gun Smoke!
Reaction score
tirerack showed 235 85 17 but I believe you. Did you mean original 16s?
Any idea if a set of wheels from a newer truck will bolt up, and if any modifications are required?

A good set of take-off wheels with good tires is what I have in mind.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Good question. I've always wanted a set of Alcoa's off of a '96 or '97 F350. Those were the best looking dually wheel ever offered from the factory by any manufacturer.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything I've heard about swapping non-stock dually wheels onto a 1st gen concerns wheel centering. The stock wheels are "coined" and most others used a pin. Whatever wheel you use, you need to make sure it runs true (no hop). I have never had to deal with this, so take my advise for what it cost:dunno
Travis..

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
Dodge wheels are hub centric. Meaning they are centered on the hub. Dodge uses a 4 3/4 hub. GM is 4 1/2. Dodge I believe released a TSB stating to use 2 conical nuts to truely center the wheel, bolt on with the other 6 nuts, remove the 2 conical, and place the last 2 on. All dodge to current is 8 on 6 1/2 pattern. I run 19.5's off a fritolay van on mine. Just had to machine the centers to fit. And on a 4x4 they look awesome! With a 2 wheel drive, you will want a 225 or 245 tire width to look right, I currently have 8R's which are taller.

firstgenjunkie

Reaction score
You can bolt up either 2nd or 3rd gen Dodge rims to your truck. You'll need to get some spacers since the offset is different. For 2nd gen you'll need about 1.25" spacers and 3rd gen needs about 2" spacers and 9/16" studs. There are a couple folk over on www.1stgen.org who have done it.